Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation a 124 year old home

2 Weeks ago we moved into our 124 year old home. We love the place but there are some issues which will need to be addressed before next fall.

The exterior doors to the main floor and basement are all very nice but not insulated at all. The basement door in particular is just slat wood with a panel in the center, I'm told the panel was removed to allow them to dump coal in the basement.

I would like to insulate these doors some how but am not entirely sure how to go about it. I have a plan to insulate the basement door, just build a framework on the back of it fill it with insulation and build it out so it seals to the walls. But the main doors are a little tricky. Because the home is as old as it is, i need to get approval for any exterior changes to the structure from the local historical society. To me this means that just replacing the doors is a no no.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

peadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

I don't think insulating the front doors would make any real difference, the R value you could add to a door is insignicant, properly caulking around any gaps around windows etc and weatherstripping the doors definitely would cut the air leakage and drafts though and I would definitely look in that direction. More insulation in the attic is good too.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Please go back and add your location to your profile, just go to quick links to edit.
Post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.