DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Insulation (
-   -   insulation (

shawn35 04-21-2011 12:25 PM

what is faced and unfaced insulation

CookeCarpentry 04-21-2011 12:27 PM

Faced insulation has a vapor barrier facing the heated area. It is usually faced with plastic or paper - i.e. Kraft faced.

Unfaced insulation, is insulation without a vapor barrier.

gotogregg 04-21-2011 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey shawn35,

Faced insulation and unfaced insulation is a fiberglass insulation that comes in different thicknesses.

Faced means that one side has a paper backing on it that acts as a vapor barrier and makes it easy to install vertically.

Unfaced insulation is just fiberglass and is often used in attics and in between floors.

I attached a picture.-Gregg

Gary in WA 04-23-2011 10:48 PM

One has a vapor retarder, one doesn't. All the plastic foam boards come either faced or unfaced. Also get denim batts, rock wool, etc. that are better than fiberglass, my least favorite;
Fiberglass batts are 15" and 23", made to stand alone, slightly compressed in the stud cavity, not requiring stapling the paper facing for an effective moisture retarder. All of the faced ones with plastic or paper should not be used below grade in most of the U.S., where are you located? And, welcome to the forum!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1