||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|02-08-2013, 11:15 AM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1Rewards Points: 10
Insulating under floor old home
I would greatly appreciate any advice for my situation.
* House built in 1904, located in Spokane, WA.
* Basement, two floors, and attic loft.
* Bottom floor is much cooler than second floor; in the winter when (basement) furnace makes bottom floor comfortable, 2nd floor is way too hot.
* Bottom floor (above basement) is made of only two layers of wood, each installed in a different direction. I would guess that some colder basement air may leak through the cracks in between the wood planks.
* Basement has thick old stone and concrete walls (part of foundation of home; there is no wood in basement walls). It has gas furnace, and does not have moisture problems.
* Basement ceiling is low (about 6'), and has wood joists 16" apart, about 6" deep.
Now, my questions:
1) If I put insulation up in the basement ceiling, would that possibly help warm up the rooms above? (If so, this could save on my heating bills and also make the temperature between 1st and 2nd floors in winter more even).
2) If I did put insulation, should I use faced or unfaced?
3) Would you suggest R19?
Thanks so much for any advice!!
Last edited by amosnliz; 02-08-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: To clarify my location and explain more about basement walls
|02-08-2013, 11:23 AM||#2|
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 32,159Rewards Points: 9,440
Good back and add your location to your profile for better ansewers and less questions.
Have the outside walls been fire blocked yet?
|The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:||
|02-11-2013, 10:16 PM||#3|
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,016Rewards Points: 4,098
Wet foundation rocks; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...e-toil-trouble
You are on page #56; http://www.energy.wsu.edu/Documents/...ers%201-10.pdf
Check with local AHJ.
Gary (across the mountains)
If any ads are present below my answer or words underlined/colored, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed/linked to, they are there without my consent.
17,000 dryer fires a year, when did you last clean the inside of the dryer near motor or the exhaust ducting?
|basement ceiling , insulation , under flooring|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Oh! 1st home! Closing in two weeks! 30 Pics!||Firefighter3244||General DIY Discussions||29||07-02-2014 08:03 PM|
|Insulating Interior/Exterior Wall Cavity? Old Home from Attic||HandyFrank||Building & Construction||3||02-07-2011 10:49 AM|
|Owning a home (not a mobile home) on leased land?||Badfish740||Off Topic||11||03-30-2008 09:34 AM|
|A facelift for your home||Grumpy||Remodeling||0||07-07-2004 07:43 PM|