Insulating These Basement Windows - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Insulating these basement windows

Ok since new windows are out of the budget, how should I insulate these for the upcoming winter? I found the storm windows, but they certainly aren't air tight. I am attaching a picture of them with and without the storm window in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating these basement windows-image-4088994342.jpg   Insulating these basement windows-image-3980382333.jpg  

Advertisement

ffemt121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

All I did for my single pane leaky basement casement windows, was place Foil faced foam board over them, with the foil facing towards the outside, then caulked around the boards to hold them in. They have worked very well for the past two years, that I have had the windows sealed that way.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ffemt121 (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

+1 to Greg's feedback.

If you don't need them, put rigid foam over theme.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
ffemt121 (10-01-2012), gregzoll (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Ok where should I put the rigid foam? Against the widow? They are louvered windows, so they don't close tight, but never seem to get rain in them, but I am worried about the possibility of snow piling up and being able to melt into them
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

See that first picture? You fit them as I stated, to fit over the windows, inside that pocket. If you think that the foam will stay there, if you just place against the wood paneling, it will just fall off, after you even caulked them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

The plus side is, it got rid of the scrap that I had laying around, after I sealed over the window in our Bath, before putting the Green board over it, when we remodeled our bath.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #7

As I'm a new home owner, I don't have any foamboard laying around, but for 40 bucks or whatever a sheet, I'm sure I can find quite a few uses and maybe still have some spare
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Sheets are not $40. Where ever you got that idea, who knows. No one ever stated that you had some laying around. I just gave you an idea that works.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #9

I was looking at them at Home Depot the other day, uh oh, maybe I was looking at the wrong thing. Can you give me the name of what I looking for or a picture of it or something?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #10

Greg,

Am I looking for something called Thermasheath Foam Insulating Sheathing? Also should I go for the highest R value they have or would that cause some sort of breathability problem?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Exterior Construction

R-Value has no impact on the permeability ratings. The thickness can change the perm ratings but most often, the facers are what cause dramatic shifts in the permeability ratings.

I think you are in danger of over thinking it a bit. Going over an R-10 is going to make that small area far more insulated than any other wall in the home at that point.

Get some 1" foam and cut it to fit. If you used the foil faced foams, facing it in towards the home and making it air tight would eliminate any relative humidity migration to the cold frame and stop wintertime sweating of the frame (assuming the moisture was coming from the air and not the concrete).
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #12

Wow Windows, you just blew my mind...that got way over my comprehension level. Let me try to dumb it down for me. 1" thick foam, cut it to fit. No need for the foil backed foam or making it entirely sealed. Is that what I should have gotten from that? Or did I go astray somewhere
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Exterior Construction

I do like the foil faced foam as it help control moisture migration and is safer to be left exposed. Put the foil side to the interior of the home.

Cut it to fit and if you know you are going to replace the windows in the future, feel free to caulk it in place or tape it off with some masking take at a minimum.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #14

Got it, funny you should mention replacing them, i was just watching you tube videos about how to do that. Doesn't look too difficult, measuring correctly seems the hardest part
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Exterior Construction

Decent DIY'er and a sawzall can get it done.

That might be the best of both in this case.

Advertisement