Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating second floor from first (balloon framing)

I have my kitchen (first floor) gutted and I wanted to know if there is a kind of insulation that I could slide up the wall and insulate the second floor. I have balloon framing and no insulation on the second floor. Thanks

liservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Not going to happen.
You are going to add blocking to the tops and bottoms of those down stairs walls right?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #3

Yes, would like a firm insulation work? Or is that a waste of money
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #4

That last post makes no since.
Are you asking if foam will work?
It would work fine just really expancive and makes a big mess if this a house your trying to live in at the same time.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

And most rigid foam is not fire rated although someplaces you can get away with it if drywalled over. It is still nasty stuff if ever it gets near fire.

Your best bet, and it will pay for itself, is to blow in insulation---fiberglass, cellulose, whatever---or see if you can tack on to a foam job in your neighborhood. It is hard to get the foam guys out for little freestanding jobs.

Last balloon construction renovation job I did we opted to take down everything to the studs since plaster was failing and we needed at plumbing and electrical throughout anyhow. The difference once insulated was unbelievable in the energy bills.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Also if newer replacement windows have been installed make sure to add insulation in the old window weight pockets.
Some old houses had the wood siding directly attached to the studs and you could see gaps all around the laps.
I take Tyvek and staple it up between the studs before insulating to help stop air floor but still allow the wall to breathe.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
And most rigid foam is not fire rated although someplaces you can get away with it if drywalled over. It is still nasty stuff if ever it gets near fire.

Your best bet, and it will pay for itself, is to blow in insulation---fiberglass, cellulose, whatever---or see if you can tack on to a foam job in your neighborhood. It is hard to get the foam guys out for little freestanding jobs.

Last balloon construction renovation job I did we opted to take down everything to the studs since plaster was failing and we needed at plumbing and electrical throughout anyhow. The difference once insulated was unbelievable in the energy bills.
but can he blow in insulation from the first floor into the second? Blown in is a bottom-up kind of install, isn't it?

Sounds like there is no way to do what he wants effectively. I don't think you could get a fireproof insulation up there, like Roxul, by shoving it upwards.

And Joe is right, you should fireblock balloon framing when you have it open.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by liservant View Post
Yes, would like a firm insulation work? Or is that a waste of money
---- No, any fiberous batt insulation would not fill the cavities completely. Very difficult, especially with any protruding siding nail points to snag on. Best to block the floor line as suggested and blow-in cellulose from the open attic stud cavities. Leave slightly high for settling.

Gary
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #9

Thanks guys for all the insight. I was planning to install fireblocks. It looks like I'm going to have to just insulate the fist flow and move ahead and one day do segmenting upstairs.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #10

]Thanks guys for all the insight. I was planning to install fireblocks. It looks like I'm going to have to just insulate the first floor and move ahead and one day do something upstairs.