Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Insulating my crawl space

Ok, with winter coming, I am starting to evaluate some parts of my home. I have an addition off the back of my house that is roughly 14wx16L and is connected to the kitchen via an opening that used to be a 5' slider and a 36"x36" window that are both completely opened now. There were no heat ducts from the Forced hot Air run into this room, but an Electric heater was installed on the back wall, underneath a Bay Window. There is also a slider on the one side. There are no other windows in the room. The ceiling is at normal height with a air space above with a gable vent. Under the room is a crawl space. The room was built on a concrete pad, with cinder block walls bringing it up to the first floor level of the house. Total height in the crawl space is about 24". The only access to it is from an old basement window. There are 3 block vents going to the outside, one on each exterior wall. The window to the basement is boarded up and always closed, so the air is not conditioned inside. There is some fiberglass batts between the floor joists, but they have started falling out and it looks like a mess.

I was told by my inspector that I might be better off blocking the vents to the outside off, insulating the walls, and then opening the window to the basement conditioned air. He said this may help regulate the temperature better and keep the floor from being as cold.

My thoughts are to use 2-3" ridged foam board on the walls in the crawl space, and possibly on the concrete floor, and then either remove, or remove and replace the insulation on the floor. From there, I would remove the window to the basement so the space can have conditioned air as well.

is that a good plan?

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

There are a ton of threads on conditioning crawl spaces on here. You are on the right track.

Make sure you seal up the ribbon/band joist areas as well.

Don't worry about insulating the floor depending on where it is relative to the frost line.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_4_par111.htm

Gary