Insulating Interior Walls - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Insulating interior walls

Are there any major disadvantages to insulating interior walls including ceilings/floors of a split level ranch house witha walkout finished basement? My reasons for insulating would be for sound deadening purposes. I dont mean every wall in the house, but probably the downstairs den (walls and ceiling) and 2 bathrooms and possibly the master bedroom. I thought I remember reading somewhere that it is not a good idea for airflow or something but I cant remember exactly.

Advertisement

Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

You shouldn't have/want airflow through a wall, under, or over it anywhere, any wall. Roxul works well and rigid, split polystyrene on the plumbing stack/vent/drains. I always insulate under the stairs as well.

Gary

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

sound deadening; search here. tons of info. basically, extra sheet rock, insulation, close any holes.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote