Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Insulating an insulated garage door?

My garage (and the bedroom above it) are very cold and not insulated very well. Big picture, we'd like to re-insulate the whole garage, but for the time being we're just trying to warm it up however we can. I was at work looking at rigid-foam garage door insulation kits:

Went ahead and picked one up, took it home, and realized we don't have those steel dividers and 1" deep cavity behind the aluminum panels... because it appears to already be an insulated door. I just never really noticed or thought about it. From what I can tell, probably some sort of Overhead Door "Thermacore" — which sounds great, but like I said, garage is still VERY cold.

Sorry for the dumb question, but would I see any benefit from applying these rigid foam panels to the back of an insulated garage door? Reviews had talked about their garage going up 10+ degrees from the foam, but that was on a plain aluminum door. Will it help me at all to "double up" the insulation with what's already in the door, or should I just return this stuff?

nutlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #2

Not going to make any difference if it's an unheated garage.
Ceiling needs to be air sealed and insulated.
Almost never does the builder spend the extra money to add the needed insulation in the ceiling or seal it properly before covering it all up.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... Addin' those panels from yer kit, won't do a darn thing for ya,...

I'd sooner think it leaks around the joints in the door,...

Do ya use the door,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

The threshold seal is most important if door is insulated already, then the jamb weatherstripping. Foam board insulates (keeps) the cold out, just as it also insulates the warm in. Think walk-in cooler...

You should really insulate the ceiling with FB to decouple it from garage slab temps, then add 5/8" Type X (fire-code) drywall on it, Fig.7; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/

Gary

Tags
foam, garage, garage door, insulation