DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Insulation (
-   -   Insulating Existing Interior Walls (

MAD King 03-27-2013 09:04 AM

Insulating Existing Interior Walls

I am trying to figure out how much blown in insulation I need per sq ft for an existing interior wall.

Thank you

joecaption 03-27-2013 09:16 AM

Going to need more info and your location add to your profile.
Go to Quick links to edit.
No one here can see your house.
How deep, how tall and wide ECT.

MAD King 03-27-2013 10:07 AM


didn't know that there is a R-Value for existing interior walls too.
What information would be needed?
I thought there would be an approx. amount of blown-in insulation per sqft for empty interior walls.

joecaption 03-27-2013 10:40 AM

And how would anyone here know just how thick these walls are or what type blown in your going to use unless you share the info?

MAD King 03-27-2013 10:57 AM

Sorry, but I am new to this and if I bother you with my inexperience please take my apology.

I think these are regular 4" walls with a reular height of 8'.
Type of blown-in insulation woul dbe cellulose.

asinsulation 03-27-2013 03:33 PM

for soundproofing or separating thermal zones?

MAD King 03-27-2013 03:36 PM

A little bit of both. But that wasn't my question.

Thank you

asinsulation 03-27-2013 03:52 PM

I am well aware that wasn't your question, but your application is going to change depending on what your desired final result is buddy

asinsulation 03-27-2013 03:56 PM

if thermal is the idea, you need to densepack. if sound is the idea, you want the cellulose a little loose, like a pillow.

Anyway, give me the width of the walls, and I will tell you how many bags you need to densepack. already have the height and depth, so just the width.

asinsulation 03-27-2013 04:02 PM

or this is even easier. as long as your measurements are accurate above, you will need a little more then 3 and half bags for every 10 feet, assuming you are using 25 lb bags.

MAD King 03-27-2013 04:08 PM

Oh wow, thank you very much. That is very accurate.

Nailbags 03-27-2013 04:08 PM

I would use Dense pack insulation if your going for sound and thermal zoning. just know there is settling with lose fill so you might want to check out doing a dense pack less settling.

asinsulation 03-27-2013 05:04 PM

The number I gave him is for densepacking, minus a little for framing members and the fact that if you haven't densepacked before, your not going to get it as tight as it should be. but he should find a happy median with this.

If it is truly a densepack, it will carry the vibrations and have no effect on noise reduction, and its not like we are trying to control a 30 or 40 degree temp difference as you would be on exterior walls. also, much less opportunity for moisture intrusion on the interior walls

MAD King 03-27-2013 08:27 PM

Thank you. I am trying to find where to buy dense pack, but google gives me only installation instructions.

Windows on Wash 03-28-2013 07:28 AM

Be aware that dense packing is not a great DIY job. Not only are the blowers that you get as rentals equip to dense pack, it is an acquired skill that takes a good, long time to get good at.

Dense packing is usually a job for the pros.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1