Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating Daylight Basement Questions

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased our first home. The house comes with a large roughed in (Framed, electrical, water, and septic all ready to go) day-light basement. The exterior basement walls are broken up into 3 different types of walls:
  1. Exposed Walls: These walls are completely open to the outdoors as you would find in any house.
  2. Basement Walls: Concrete from Floor to Ceiling.
  3. Basement/Crawlspace Walls: Concrete up to about 4 ft and then completely open into the crawlspace.
The Exposed walls seem simple, they are already 90% insulated withs batts, but I will need to finish them.

The Basement walls, from what I gather reading around here, should be covered with Rigid Foam Sheets and then the gaps and edges sealed with Caulking/Sprayfoam/Sealing Tape.

My question is primarily in regards to the wall which is half Basement and half crawlspace. The underside of the house is insulated with fiberglad, so I imagine this isn't a moisture concern. Could I just install batts on the upper portion, cover with a moisture barrier, and then sheetrock it? The lower portion would be covered with rigid foam and then I would seal the moisture barrier to it so there are no breaks in the cover. Does this sound like it would work or do I have this all wrong?

If I am not clear in explaining what I have going on, I appologize. When I get home this evening, I would be glad to take a few snapshots and add them to this post to clarify.

Thanks!

Tweak3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,460

Pictures and location of the home are a must.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #3

Location is near Puyallup, Washington which is in the western side of Washington State.

I'll grab some better phots of the inside and outside of the basement so it is clear exactly what we are working with. Here are a few from the housing listing. please ignore all the stuff in the basement, its not ours and its totally clean now

You can see in the above picture, some of the stepping of the cement on the side of the house. This is one of the questions I have so I am sure it will be much more clear when I post more phots tonight.

Also, the house is only 6 years old and has never had any water issues despite significant rain and snowfall in recent years. There is also no signs of any water having been in the basement.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Here are the rest of the pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/hRLQl

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

If you are converting it to a conditioned crawl, you don't need the insulation along the underside of the floor.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #6

The crawlspace will be left untouched. There will be an access door to get to it, but thats it. I would like to close the gap between the basement and the crawlspace, but am unsure of how to do so.

I was thinking of doing is similar to the outside of the house, but in reverse

Starting from the Crawlspace side:

Plywood -> Tyvek Wrap -> Insulation Batts (or Rigid Foam) -> Vapor Barrier (if needed) -> Sheetrock

Does this sound like the correct way to do this? Any advice on how I should proceed?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7

Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Most suggestions are to make the crawl space conditioned as compared to trying to insulate the ceiling and control moisture.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use a weather-tight door between spaces. Use ADA on the drywall; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/ Tape the H.W. seams for an air seal from that side.

The foam board is a good solution; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

Remember the rims at the heated rooms; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l_seal_rev.pdf

Gary