Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Insulating converted stand-up attic to living space

Hey everyone,

Since I last posted about this, I have learned a lot and now have the front (North side of house) room totally accessible to insulate/etc. I am up to the insulating portion of the job and wish to share with you some info before I ask my question(s).

I know the user Buletbob will know these homes here. It's an early-70s built 3 BR, 2.5 bath with a second floor that was an "expansion attic" 40' x 24'. That second floor is Gambrel-shaped with no soffits of any kind. The venting originally is two "gable vents" high on the front and rear face of this house, plus one window on each respective face, beneath the vents.

Before I moved in six years ago, the prior owners finished the "expansion" space to now include two more BRs and a full bath.

In Summer, it's hot as blazes up there without any window ACs going, like 95 degrees. I had a ridge vent done, but without soffits I'm afraid it does very little if anything at all.

The insulation there was R-19 along all the Gambrel roof rafters, with a small void for the gable vents to move a little air through. There are "knee wall" short walls in the rooms upstairs that are NOT insulated. I'm thinking insulating them may help a little.

What about reflective sheets in the rafter bays at the highest point above the rooms? Do you think that would help? Which ones would be best to use?

TIA...RJ

Last edited by mudpaws; 09-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,028

With no soffit venting any venting will be pretty much useless. It needs make up air from someplace. Right now it's coming from the conditioned air in the room below.
Really need to insulate those knee walls. I'd also add a layer of house wrap to the back side of it.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Cool, ok Joe thank you! So put the house wrap over the knee wall insulation from behind the wall in the attic space that is there?
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where you are located...

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-21-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote