Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating a cathedral ceiling

My wife and I recently bought a house, and recently found out between the cathedral ceiling and the roof there is zero insulation - only a 8-10 inch gap.

We live in Chicago - obviously this is a problem.

My question is this: Is there a way to resolve this without pulling down the drywall? We just had twins and can't afford to do a ton of renovation. If there is a way we can resolve this with minimal work and expense, it would be amazing.

Any idea, DIY pros?

re-Verse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

How did you figure out it has no insulation?
How old is this house?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

House was built in the late 1800s.

We got the house last year, and we noticed it was immediately freezing cold in the house upstairs, and the upstairs furnace would run all the time. Our heating bills were around $600 a month. The second the furnace would turn off you'd feel a creeping cold in the air, and within a minute or two the furnace would be back on. This year, its a bit different. While last year we just accepted it and bundled up, this year we're on a single income, with 2 very small babies in the house. They had their share of health scares when they were born, and I really don't want to put them in any risk.

I drilled holes in the ceiling drywall in a couple places, and stuck a mirror and flashlight in - there is nothing in there at all. When the sellers renovated from an attic to a cathedral ceiling, they just cut corners and put nothing in there at all. Luckily, it does look like the walls are insulated.
re-Verse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Call an insulating co.they have ways to blow it in small areas like you have.Will pay off in the long run.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Is that section vented?

Post up some pictures.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathedral ceilings, insulation