Insulating Basement Waste Line - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Insulating basement waste line


I'll likely be framing the basement next week. Two main wastes run from upstairs. What is generally accepted as the best method to insulate to mitigate the sound from the waste water heading down. I'm conventionally framing with R10 in the walls, but that's just not going to minimize the noise enough I don't think....

thanks,

Ultra

Advertisement

Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,778
Rewards Points: 672
Default

Insulating basement waste line


R-10 would not be conventional insulation in a 2 X 4 wall.
R-13 would be the norm.
For a basment that would be more then enough.
Are you planing on living in this basement? Not sure why there's such a concern.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
R-10 would not be conventional insulation in a 2 X 4 wall.
R-13 would be the norm.
For a basment that would be more then enough.
Are you planing on living in this basement? Not sure why there's such a concern.
Yes Joe, the basement is going to be living space. Master bedroom/bathroom, and a larger great room. I mentioned R10, as that is code, but certainly R13 would be fine.

I'm focusing on the noisy pipes, as this place isn't old enough for cast Iron, I have PVC. In doing a bit of research, I've come across 'QuietWrap' and similar products....

I look forward to your comments,


Thanks.
Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,128
Rewards Points: 3,292
Default

Insulating basement waste line


I would encourage you to read through the myriad of threads on this forum about basement insulation.

Fiberglass is not usually a suitable insulation for below grade applications given its tendency to grow mold and be moisture sensitive.

As far as the waste pipes go, I have never heard a complaint from a customer after stud walls and insulation are up.

You will probably find that standard insulation and drywall will do the trick.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I would encourage you to read through the myriad of threads on this forum about basement insulation.

Fiberglass is not usually a suitable insulation for below grade applications given its tendency to grow mold and be moisture sensitive.

As far as the waste pipes go, I have never heard a complaint from a customer after stud walls and insulation are up.

You will probably find that standard insulation and drywall will do the trick.
Thanks for your comments. I would agree there are better options than fiberglass batts....heck, if money were no object, I'd foam it with closed-cell. However, I'm being diligent in the installation of the vapor barrier, have a floating slab, and it's dry, with no current moisture propagation issues...

thanks again,

Ultra
Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,128
Rewards Points: 3,292
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Even if you go with batts, I would recommend something other than fiberglass.

Rigid foam is not that bad from a pricing stand point.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Even if you go with batts, I would recommend something other than fiberglass.

Rigid foam is not that bad from a pricing stand point.
I would agree. I'll price out the rigid foam, as I like that product, and it's easy of install....

Thanks,

Ultra
Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,847
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
.... I'm being diligent in the installation of the vapor barrier....
Below grade? I know it is debatable, but I have yet to read in the debate material that a vb below grade actually HELPS. At best, they seem to "not cause problems, enough to worry about", is how I read what I read. Maybe I misread.... but I'd be careful about a vb below grade unless it is real cold where you are (I'd still never install one myself, but....)
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,128
Rewards Points: 3,292
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Below grade? I know it is debatable, but I have yet to read in the debate material that a vb below grade actually HELPS. At best, they seem to "not cause problems, enough to worry about", is how I read what I read. Maybe I misread.... but I'd be careful about a vb below grade unless it is real cold where you are (I'd still never install one myself, but....)
+1

Agree on all points.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
jklingel (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,847
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Insulating basement waste line


Good to know I can still read. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 513
Rewards Points: 526
Default

Insulating basement waste line


I am doing the same as you and went with 1" XPS glued to the block walls and 2x4 framed over that. I will use unfaced R13 batts. 2" XPS would be best, but the price is so much more. With 1" you have to monitor the humidity level and keep it below 50% in the summer.

SEARCH. GBR has many links to the 'Building Sciences' sites explaining below grade insulation in GREAT detail.

Are the first floor drain lines PVC, steel, or cast iron?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kamloops B.C. Canada
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Insulating basement waste line


measure pipe diameter and ask at your local building supply store for pipe insulation (pipe size plus 1 inch thickness should solve sound problems

Advertisement

stickjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locating Main Drain Line in Basement koz123 Plumbing 6 02-11-2011 10:41 AM
Insulating basement - questions jtmann HVAC 7 11-19-2010 04:20 AM
Insulating partial in-ground basement? HiccaBurp Building & Construction 6 10-25-2010 11:03 PM
Basement Waste Stack The Vintage Sou Plumbing 3 08-17-2010 02:47 PM
Insulating Exhisting Basement Wall soasquad Building & Construction 3 01-10-2010 07:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts