Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

Insulating basement walls

I'm debating just painting the cinder block walls or framing them. Any thoughts on if my basement will always just be cold unless I insulate? Anyone just paint the cinder block walls in the zone 6 climates and not have a really cold basement?
bryanp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #2

bryan,

would be best to start your own post as questions and comments tend to become confused between two different situations. also you may want to edit your profile to include your location as location determines the best approach to your question

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

You can just heat the daylights out of the basement and not insulate. At the end of the day, you will have a warm basement but you are going to pay for it.

The benefit to insulating the basement properly is that you are impacting the state and efficiency of the basement for the life of the structure.

If you are trying to make the basement livable and comfortable, I would suggest that you insulate as mentioned previously. It will be more expensive but it will be a one shot deal and you are done if you do it properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #4

My house has cinder block walls. If I frame the walls do I need to space them out from the block? Is rigid pink foam best for basements? Any idea on thickness requirement for Wisconsin?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

XPS is best for basement wall because it is moisture insensitive.

In Wisconsin, minimum 1", frame the walls out, and unfaced batt insulation.

Seal up the rim joists while you are in there.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Do you still have to put in a moisture barrier between the studs and the cinder block then?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
"You can do anything"-Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
Do you still have to put in a moisture barrier between the studs and the cinder block then?
Your foam board serves as a thermal break meaning that is keeps condensation from forming because warm air wont ever get to the cold surface of your basement walls. No additional vapor barrier is needed.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brockmiera For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (04-05-2013), Windows on Wash (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

So the foam goes between the cinder block wall and the studs and I end up with a continuous layer of foam before I put up the studs? For some reason I was thinking you'd have to use it like normal Fiberglas insulation and it would go in the channel between the studs after the wall is framed.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
"You can do anything"-Mom

[QUOTE=bryanp22;1150217]So the foam goes between the cinder block wall and the studs and I end up with a continuous layer of foam before I put up the studs?

Thats correct. You will also want to tape the seams foam seal the top and bottom, fire block as necessary, unsulated and air seal the rim joist.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #10

Here's a quick pic of what I'm in the process of if you need a visual.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating basement walls-photo-2.jpg  

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013:
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trucon01 For This Useful Post:
asinsulation (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #11

You would lose a lot of heat by not insulating; http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

With 1" foamboard (R-5 XPS) only and 70*F in room temp, 84% heat reduction and 81% Relative Humidity.

R-5 + R-13 cavity insulation = 95% heat reduction and safe up to (only) 26% RH in room.

R-10 + R-13 ins. = 97% heat reduction and safe to 36%RH.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Windows & Remodeling

Good advice above. 1.5" Xps is used most often. Depending where you are in Wi, you might be eligible for rebates on that work through the Focus on Energy program ( through WE energies). They subsidize 33% of the work up to $1500 if you meet their guidelines

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #13

I'm in milwaukee area. So you do 1.5 rigid and then rolled in the walls? Do I need to worry about moisture at all with the rolled insulation if I do the 1.5" of rigid foam?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

Also where can I read requirements of We energies program? I can't seem to find it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Windows & Remodeling

There is always SOME worry about moisture in a basement, but the best methods as described will mitigate those chances substantially. Here is the link to the program: http://www.focusonenergy.com/residential

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote