Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
I can do it......I think!

Send a message via Yahoo to MovedTooMuch
Share |

Insulating basement wall with 1" furring strips??

I have a basement that was previously finished with 1" furring strips, no insulation, and 1960's thin drywall panels. I tore off the old poor looking drywall and I would like to insulate the walls before I put back new drywall. I would like something flame resistant. All of the foam panels I see in the box stores are flammable.

The walls are concrete block on all four sides and I do have a fireplace in the room. None of the walls are below grade. There is no water penetration.

Q) Are there any good flame-resistant materials I could use for insulating the wall? What would you do?

P.S. I really don't want to yank off the 1" furring strips since there are FOUR door frames in that room and 2 of them are very close to the corners. I don't really have the room for 2x4 framing.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating basement wall with 1" furring strips??-006.jpg   Insulating basement wall with 1" furring strips??-002.jpg  

MovedTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

If your going to sheetrock over the wall so what if the foams flamable?
Most likly you have paper backed insulation in the rest of the house that's flamable. As long as there's rock over it your fine.

Sure would be better if you built a 2 X 4 wall instead, more insulation, could run wiring and make the room legal.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
I can do it......I think!

Send a message via Yahoo to MovedTooMuch

So it would not be legal to have wiring in a wall with 1" furring strips? The current wall has wiring (but this is West Virginia and the codes are different here!).
MovedTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #4

thin rigid board and sheet rock, like joe said. roxul is fire proof, and they MAY make insulation that thin; maybe drain board? Dunno, but if they make it, it would be fine for your application.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

I'd use some R-max (foil-faced) between the strapping to cut the heat loss and save energy; http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

Even 3/4" f.b. would cut your heat loss by 70%: http://www.enersavesystems.com/pdf/E...Insulation.pdf

Be sure it is glued air-tight, no air allowed, and ADA the drywall: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Gary
Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

Is the room below grade? If so the energy loss isn't as great as above grade, because of the constant earth temperature.
@GBR - correct me if the above statement is wrong.

Thus if it were me I would get the 1/2" foam board cut it to fit between the furring strips then sheet rock over it. Depending on wall temps after that I would then use some 1/4" sheathing and install another layer of drywall. Just ensure it is all sealed up. With 1/2 board you have R3 and 1/4 sheathing you have R1 + two layers of drywall, 1/2" drywall is R .5, so R1. Only equals R5 but below grade is decent. However, I don't know if this meets Code in your area.

The bigger issue is what HVAC you want to use for heating and cooling, considering humidity and size.
rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Energy loss will not be as great give the lessened temperature differential, however, insulation is still a must.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote