Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Share |

Insulating babies room

I am renovating our new babies room. I now have only exposed studs and rafters. I will be sheetrocking soon but first i need to install insulation. I can insulate the walls easily but i have a question for the attic.

As I said there is no ceiling right now, Can I insulate the attic space over the room before i sheetrock the ceiling or is it best to sheetrock first then go into the attic and install the insulation? I would like to handle the insulation as little as possible and have it installed at easily as possible.

VinnyBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

Insulating babies room

Sheetrock first, then consider blown in instead of fierglass.
buy 10 bags and you get a free rental of the blower.
Make sure to install baffles before the insulation.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
JOATMON

Insulating babies room

No reason you can't do it both ways. Assuming you have ceiling joists on 16" centers...install craft faced bats paper side down...stable to the inside of the joist...then install your drywall.

Do the ceiling first...use 5/8" for the ceiling...1/2" is ok for the walls.

Then later you can do as Joe says and do another layer on top of the existing.

BTW...it helps to put your location in your profile.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Insulating babies room

Ok so install insulation paper side down so basically upside down? What are baffels used for and do I need them in the walls as well?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Insulating babies room

Vinny,

A picture of the outside will help out quite a bit. You need to make sure the attic is vented properly and be sure to air seal the top plates in addition to insulating.

It is most often done from the top if it is an open attic.

If it is vaulted, you need to post up some more details.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Insulating babies room

It is done from the top if it is blown in. There is no reason you cannot insulate first. Use a faced batt insulation and install it with the vapor retarder ( what you call the paper) side down toward the living space. fold the tabs out and face staple them to the studs for best results. Its not just paper. Install the drywall over the tabs and screw it in place.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Insulating babies room

Great thanks. 2 more questiions..

1. Do i need to leave space at the points where the ceiling meet the walls for ventilation? There is a gap all arouund the attic where you see daylight under the soffit so i assume that is for airflow.

2. Do I only need to insulate the outside walls or should I also insulate the interoir between the bedrooms?

3. Do I install insulation in the open bay where my air return is for the forced central heat and air.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Insulating babies room

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBags View Post

1. Do i need to leave space at the points where the ceiling meet the walls for ventilation? There is a gap all arouund the attic where you see daylight under the soffit so i assume that is for airflow.

2. Do I only need to insulate the outside walls or should I also insulate the interoir between the bedrooms?

3. Do I install insulation in the open bay where my air return is for the forced central heat and air.
  1. Yes. You need uninterrupted flow from the soffits to the ridge/vents.
    1. Is the attic an open design or a vaulted ceiling application where the rafters are drywalled on the interior?
  2. From an energy standpoint, it is not required. From a noise standpoint, it is advisable.
  3. Not sure of the question or application here.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Insulating babies room

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBags View Post

1. There should be an air space from the soffit over the top plate of the exterior walls up to the ridge vent. Basically, you want the temperature on the underside of the roof deck close to the outdoor temperature to prevent the dew point from falling on the underside of the roof deck.

2. I would recommend insulating the interior walls after you rough in your electric. You are going to want some sound suppression down the road when your little one is not so little any more.

3. No, you do not want to obstruct air flow through the return, however, you may want to put insulation from the return grille up to the top plate, but you want to seal off the insulation above with wood blocking.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-16-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

Insulating babies room

I installed the insulation with the baffels and it worked great.