Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Insulating attic wall shared with living space

Try this again... tried to post this 5 times today every time it fails...

anyways..

I have a house constructed in 1996 which is 2 stories, and then it has a 1 story master suite which has attic space from a gabled attic that butts up against the house (standard gable attic, triangular ends against the houe and to the outside)

this wall that the attic butts against is not insulated, not sure why, but its not and of course its cold in the winter against that wall. the inside is completely finished and drywalled, the attic wall is just studds and you can see the inside drywall (2x4 studds in this part, nut sure why, the rest of the houe is all 2x6 *shrugs*)

I want to insulate this wall with roxul insulation to get a little more r-value then fiberglass, in addition to the sound deadening and increased firestopping you get with roxul.. but of course roxul has no vapor barrier

do I need a vapor barrier here? I assumed yes since its unconditioned attic space touching conditioned space, but then none of my ceilings have vapor barriers.. (I live near pittsburgh, pa so not sure what our region wants / requires)

if it does have to have a vapor barrier, what do you suggest? I don't want to go fiberglass, and cellulose would be in the same category as roxul for the vapor retarder

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,460

Picture would be very helpful here, however, the general answer to your question would be no.

Vapor barriers are overused and largely unnecessary in most of the climate regions.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

"do I need a vapor barrier here? I assumed yes since its unconditioned attic space touching conditioned space, but then none of my ceilings have vapor barriers.. (I live near pittsburgh, pa so not sure what our region wants / requires)"-------------------

You are in Zone 5, Fig.#3: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...nd-wall-design

Gary