Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,312
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Insulating attic decking


I am having my attic reinsulated with cellulose, but 12ft of the attic space wide by 20 ft long is decked for storage with 1/2" OSB... The "floor joists" are 2x6 which I will have probably dense packed under the flooring... but that will probably get me about R-20? the rest of the attic will be probably R-40, is there anything I can do to improve this under the decked region? Someone said to put 2" XPS Rigid foam down, that would get me another R-10 and prevent thermal bridiging from the decking..

If you where to do this, what would you do? would you put the 1/2" OSB down first, then XPS perpendicular to that, then another layer of OSB? then screw it all down?

__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Insulating attic decking


http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,312
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Insulating attic decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Yes, I know what the R-Value recommendations are, but that doesn't answer my question...
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 6,938
Rewards Points: 3,016
Default

Insulating attic decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
I am having my attic reinsulated with cellulose, but 12ft of the attic space wide by 20 ft long is decked for storage with 1/2" OSB... The "floor joists" are 2x6 which I will have probably dense packed under the flooring... but that will probably get me about R-20? the rest of the attic will be probably R-40, is there anything I can do to improve this under the decked region? Someone said to put 2" XPS Rigid foam down, that would get me another R-10 and prevent thermal bridiging from the decking..

If you where to do this, what would you do? would you put the 1/2" OSB down first, then XPS perpendicular to that, then another layer of OSB? then screw it all down?
Do you really need the storage? Most folks will say yes but when confronted with the idea of removing the stuff and putting it back, they often times find it is stuff they don't really need or can find other locations for.

The best solution is to rip of the floor, air seal, and loose fill insulation.

Another option is to rip up the OSB, build another floor perpendicular out of 2x6/2x8/2x10 (whatever you think the floor can handle weight wise) and loose fill under that combined floor depth of either 11"/13"/15".

The 2x10 combo would be ideal because it will allow you to get to that targeted combined insulation depth.

Dense packing is difficult and more often than not, done improperly.

Unless you pull up that OSB deck and air seal, I would also be worried about moisture migration and condensation potential via air leaks that are not addressed because of the inaccessibility with the OSB sheets on the floor.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,312
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Insulating attic decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Do you really need the storage? Most folks will say yes but when confronted with the idea of removing the stuff and putting it back, they often times find it is stuff they don't really need or can find other locations for.

The best solution is to rip of the floor, air seal, and loose fill insulation.

Another option is to rip up the OSB, build another floor perpendicular out of 2x6/2x8/2x10 (whatever you think the floor can handle weight wise) and loose fill under that combined floor depth of either 11"/13"/15".

The 2x10 combo would be ideal because it will allow you to get to that targeted combined insulation depth.

Dense packing is difficult and more often than not, done improperly.

Unless you pull up that OSB deck and air seal, I would also be worried about moisture migration and condensation potential via air leaks that are not addressed because of the inaccessibility with the OSB sheets on the floor.
trust me, we need the storage... we have 6 closets in the house filled to the max, and a 10x15 storage room filled... none of the stuff is mine either (hint)...

the entire floor has already been "air sealed" had a spray foam guy come out and seal all the top plates and any openings / junction boxes / can lights with drywall boxes..

now I had the perpendicular floor idea a while ago, and someone basically yelled at me and told me never do that

This is a room that at some point will be finished, we just don't have the money to do it right now, so didn't want to go overkill on this.. right now it has a whole 5.5" of blown fiberglass in it... probably R-13 effectively at most? just estimating that number blown fiber is what? R-2.2 per inch? Cellulose is R-3.3 per inch I think?

I'm having a cellulose installer doing the work, I'm just trying to do the prepwork, they are the ones that said to do the XPS decking... I just never heard of it before... and only found one reference to it online and that was a British site that basically used SIPS for decking
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Member
 
ryanxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Insulating attic decking


Closed cell foam is R-7 per inch I think. 6 inches of that would be R-42.
Expensive stuff but just an idea from another DIYer.
__________________
I am not an expert in anything. Any advice you take from me is strictly at your own risk!
ryanxo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanxo For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 6,938
Rewards Points: 3,016
Default

Insulating attic decking


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanxo View Post
Closed cell foam is R-7 per inch I think. 6 inches of that would be R-42.
Expensive stuff but just an idea from another DIYer.
Rigid foam will work too. Still gotta pull up that floor and re-do it though.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
finishing insulating attic Roundeye Insulation 12 01-12-2012 10:10 PM
decking an unfinished garage attic? heli0s Building & Construction 8 11-01-2011 08:52 PM
insulating problems in bongalow closet & attic MyEvilBanana Building & Construction 1 01-30-2011 10:01 AM
Insulating an attic for finishing Graye2 Building & Construction 2 12-14-2010 11:20 PM
Insulating an attic for finsih ddave23 Building & Construction 10 10-05-2009 01:24 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.