Insulating - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

Insulating

I hope I can get my question across properly. On a new construction home, when insulating, for the air flow in the ceiling. Do you ventilate every rafter or every other one so it can breathe through the soffit?
Thank you for your time. Hope my question can be answered.

Advertisement

worker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Insulating

I just redid the soffit on my mothers house with the vinyl soffits and put the vented ones all the way around. Same with my brother in laws house when he built his the inspector told him he should do vented all the way around.

Advertisement

handyman_squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Insulating

Quote:
Originally Posted by worker903
I hope I can get my question across properly. On a new construction home, when insulating, for the air flow in the ceiling. Do you ventilate every rafter
If your rafters are boxed in, because of a vaulted ceiling, then you will need to vent the entire shute and use a ridge vent( installed by your roofer) if you have a pitched roof.

If you have attic space where blown insulation is being used, then soffit baffles are used to help prevent the insulation from blocking the area between the top plate and roof sheathing. Just as important as the intakes are the exhaust venting. The temperature in the attic needs to be the same temperature as the air outside otherwise moisture may develop in areas where warm moist air meets a cold surface.

There is no harm in installing soffit vent baffles in each rafter or truss shute. Speak to your builder about this. These baffles are cheap and easy to install. Just as important, speak to your roofer and ask how he calculates for roof venting. There are a number of ways to properly vent the roof for warm air exhaust. There is a formula to calculate this. Depends on the square footage of your home.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,270

Insulating

+1

Continuous and balanced is best.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote