Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Share |

Insulated unfinished basement (and concrete floor?)

I have a basement that I'd like to insulate, but I'm not interested in "finishing" it. I'd rather keep the concrete slab and not panel the walls or anything. I'm thinking on using some closed cell spray foam on the walls to put a 1 inch thick layer with an intumescent coating, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7mSlEMbz6s]something like this[/a].

The concrete slab is still pretty huge. In the winter, it's cold; it's a known major source of heat loss ("source of loss"... ugh). It would be nice if I could just slap down 1 inch of ISO at R6.8, pour 4 inches of concrete over it, and have a 5 inch shorter basement with an insulated floor; but, no, that won't work I'm sure. I doubt I could frame it with like... 1 inch high block? Really, tearing the floor up and re-pouring would be better; but that's even more work.

Again, not looking to put in i.e. framing, XPS, a layer of Ditra, and tile; I want an unfinished basement, but an insulated one. If only they had used ICFs in 1920.