Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 538

Hurrican Rebuild - insulation questions

Hello,

We are rebuilding thanks to Isaac welcoming us to the gulf coast. When we opened the walls we found R-7 in the walls...I mean really?? the skin on my teeth is thicker than this stuff. We are going to replace this with R-13 and at the same time we are going to re-do the ceilings and get rid of the ceiling tiles and go with sheet rock. There was R-13 in the attic and we are upgrading to R-30. we cannot afford the Roxul or the blown so we are limited to FG. I know this is not the best choice but we are down south so winters are mild and lets face it the money tree is nekked right now.

We are trying to keep the $$ local and have been dealing with a local supply company that has been great with respect to matching the box store prices (we get a military discount) and even beating them resoundly in a lot of areas. my question is that the local supplier only has R-30 in batts and not rolls. Does it make a difference if the attic is done with 4ft sections as opposed to one huge honking roll? Also the brand they sell is certanteed. I have never used this before only using the Jm or the owens corning. Is this brand okay?

Thanks in advance

Robyn

forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,528

That is fine.

Just means it will be a bit more piecemeal but as long as they are properly aligned, you are fine using that.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Too, if the trusses allow, you can always install one layer of batting, then another one perpendicular to that to help cover gaps. Then, spend just a small fraction of money and blow a couple of inches of cellulose over your batting. That will fill in the 10,382 holes/gaps/cracks and will improve the performance of those leaky FG batts.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 538

Thanks for your replies. Wondering if it makes sense to do two layers of R-19 perpendicular to each other or would that compromise the R value of the lower run. If this is acceptable does having a vapor barrier on both layers cause an issue? Really trying to keep this local but If I have to go to another supplier I can. With respect to filling in the holes aren't you supposed to have some air movement under the eaves for the house to breathe or are you talking about filling in gaps within the trusses.

Thanks
forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Wondering if it makes sense to do two layers of R-19 perpendicular to each other... "... then another one perpendicular to that to help cover gaps."

If this is acceptable does having a vapor barrier on both layers cause an issue? If you are referring to the foil on the batts, I think you'll be OK. They are a little bit permeable, I think, and there will be a lot of room around them for air to move. To be safe, just tear it off the second layer. Does your supplier not have unfaced?

With respect to filling in the holes aren't you supposed to have some air movement under the eaves for the house to breathe or are you talking about filling in gaps within the trusses. You need 2" of air gap over the insulation at the eaves, yes. The cellulose will fill the voids between the batts, around the trusses, etc; you will never be able to install batts in trusses w/out gaps. FG is notorious for passing air, thus making it the worst insulation for attics; any wind through the attic will pass through the FG and steal btu's. There are two good reasons to dump in a little cellulose over top. Have you priced it vs FG? It goes in so fast and does a better job insulating, so if the price is not terribly different I'd go cellulose all the way. I would at least cover the FG; no sense going to all that work to have marginal insulation. Of course, you can always skip the cellulose until you get a big raise next year.... BTW: If you have any penetrations into the attic, seal them before you insulate; Great Stuff, caulking, tape, etc.

Thanks
see after bullets.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (11-11-2012)