Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

how would you insulate this ceiling?

The ceiling belongs to a kitchen on the top floor of a house located in Toronto. There is no attic above this ceiling. It is the top of the house, with roofing right above it. If you've seen my other posts then you might already know what this is about.

There are a few concerns at play:

All of the joists run parallel to my floor, but the depth of space between the ceiling joists and roof varies from about 5-6inches at one end, to almost 11-12 inches at the other.

Any thoughts on how to insulate? Maybe just pretend it's 6 inches all the way and be content to know that there's a much larger air cavity at one end of the room?

The second, perhaps larger, issue is the fact that there appears to be no ventilation. I understand that if your insulating an attic ceiling there needs to be ventilation, which is often secured through the soffits. But what about in a flat roof such as mine? All I see is joists running up against brick? What would ventilation look like in such a ceiling? Is it needed?

As always, thank you for your help and comments.

demandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,996

Pictures are helpful in this situation.

Look for some vents on the roof.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #3

I will do my best to get some pictures up soon, but in the meantime, can you or anyone else comment on whether I need to vent or not?

I'm sorry if this is incredibly noobish of me, but why is venting necessary? why in the ceiling but not the walls?

This also relates to another question I've asked about leaving a small space behind insulation for air flow.

If I don't need to worry about leaving a gap between insulation and ceiling then maybe I can just gradually fill the increasing depth with more and more insulation. Just squish it all up there and one end of my kitchen ceiling will be extra insulated compared to the other. What do y'all think?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,996

Venting is ideal but you need to have make up air. Do you have any incoming air from outside (i.e. soffit vents, intake vents, etc)?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Venting is ideal but you need to have make up air. Do you have any incoming air from outside (i.e. soffit vents, intake vents, etc)?
From what I can see (and I have the whole ceiling down) there are no intake vents. No soffit vents either as there are not really any soffits to speak of that can be seen from the inside. There are walls of brick that go brick brick brick all the way to the ceiling where they hit the joists and relatively flat roof. In between the joists there's more brick right up to the roof.

So I suppose if there is no new air coming in then maybe venting in this case is unnecessary. At any rate, there was never any venting before and the house has been fine. I just want to make sure that the addition of insulation won't through things off.

Still working on the photo...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Some reading for you before I get back again: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-roof-systems

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...rchterm=attic+

You need to air seal the wall/brick from the roof cavities for the "hot" roof. Use the required foam board equivalent R-value for comparable to our climate Zones. Nice sentence but I'm tired now..... Later.

Gary
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

You might could do something like this?

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
how would you insulate this ceiling?-framing-insulation.jpg