How Would You Block Sound From The Room Next Door? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

How would you Block Sound from the Room Next door?

I joined because I need some expert guidance and have no where to ask for answers. Alright, so I do YouTube, which requires me to not only to record my voice during a game-play commentary or commentary in general, but also need peace and quiet when Video Editing and studying. When my roommates are in the kitchen or living room and having a simple conversation or even washing the dishes I can hear them, and I don't want to be a dick and tell them to keep it down every time there in the kitchen to eat or wash dishes or even playing video games in the living room. So what can I do to minimize the sound travel between my walls and the door and the room next door? I am going to buy a slider to put under the door because right now there is a 1.2 inch space between the bottom of the door and the ground, also on the door, there is a small hole like if it was kicked in and looking inside the door it is nothing but a hollow space between two woods (the outside of the door) so the door is doing nothing to block sound, so I'm thinking of putting thick rigid insulation on both sides of the door from home depot to minimize sound travel, I have no experience with Insulation, so I come here seeking for help. I have included a picture/sketch of the layout/blueprint for my section of the apartment, including the area around my room for better visuals.

Picture of Room and Apartment Layout:
(LINK IN CASE IMAGE UPLOAD DOES NOT WORK) http://postimg.org/image/8pkxx8d2t/

What type of insulation should I buy? How should I install it (Nails, Staples, Tape)? And what else can I do to minimize sound travel?

In addition to putting insulation on the wall, I am thinking about making a artificial wall, meaning making a wooden panel, (about 6 inches thick) and 9-12 feet high, and making the inside of the panel, filling it with insulation and sound reducing material and putting that artificial wall at the entrance of the room between the 2 walls of the closet and the door, to further help in reduction. Will this work, here is a rough sketch of what I am thinking. The Artificial wall/Panel, I will pull it out and put it between my desk and the wall when I am recording, and then put it to the side once I am done, will this also work? Rough Sketch: The Blue represents the wall

(LINK IN CASE IMAGE UPLOAD DOES NOT WORK)
http://postimg.org/image/qlmgb58g1/
Attached Images

Advertisement

Respo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respo View Post

Picture of Room and Apartment Layout:
(LINK IN CASE IMAGE UPLOAD DOES NOT WORK) http://postimg.org/image/8pkxx8d2t/

What type of insulation should I buy? How should I install it (Nails, Staples, Tape)? And what else can I do to minimize sound travel?

For the door you should buy an acoustic door as you insulation. To install that you should use nail.

For the walls there some insulation can be useful to minimize the sound.

http://www.soundproofingtips.com/sou...ing-materials/

Hopefull this link helps to you.

Advertisement

cmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,536

Make the door airtight first and see if that doesn't improve it enough to give you some relief.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 326

The first thing that comes to mind is fire safety. Make sure you can get out easily if the room is full of smoke.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote