How Water Pastic Pipe Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

how water Pastic pipe insulation


just like to know if hard plastic hot water pipe need any insulation. since pastic conduct less heat.

Advertisement

s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,789
Rewards Points: 694
Default

how water Pastic pipe insulation


Your resoning makes no since, but yes it needs to be insulated in most cases.
Mainly on where you live, where the pipes are located.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

how water Pastic pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Your resoning makes no since, but yes it needs to be insulated in most cases.
Mainly on where you live, where the pipes are located.
well metal conduct more heat than plastic. when i touch a section that has both hot water copper pipe and plastic pipe. the temperature of plastic pipe is barely warm, however the copper pipe at the same section is too hot to touch. so insulation on plastic pipe cost/insulate ratio might not worth it, since it doesn't give out too much heat. however i'm not sure how much i would save if i insulate the plastic pipe.
s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,789
Rewards Points: 694
Default

how water Pastic pipe insulation


Not much but it will help keep it from freezing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,140
Rewards Points: 3,300
Default

how water Pastic pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
well metal conduct more heat than plastic. when i touch a section that has both hot water copper pipe and plastic pipe. the temperature of plastic pipe is barely warm, however the copper pipe at the same section is too hot to touch. so insulation on plastic pipe cost/insulate ratio might not worth it, since it doesn't give out too much heat. however i'm not sure how much i would save if i insulate the plastic pipe.
Next to nothing.

If the pipes are inside the conditioned space, don't bother.

Spend that money on caulking and sealant.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

how water Pastic pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Next to nothing.

If the pipes are inside the conditioned space, don't bother.

Spend that money on caulking and sealant.
thanks, thats kind what i thought. on the other hand air condition/furnace supply line insulation in basement could provide better energy saving?

Advertisement

s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot water from cold water pipe!! DIYhelpee Plumbing 6 01-07-2012 12:05 PM
Big water leak under house Puzzles Plumbing 4 04-27-2011 03:50 PM
DIY Comedy--PVC for main water line? Daulton Plumbing 8 03-23-2011 10:03 AM
Permit For Fire Sprinklers letnes Plumbing 18 10-14-2010 06:23 PM
PEX pipe and sharkbite slowing water flow? Snav Plumbing 1 04-09-2010 04:32 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts