DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Insulation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/)
-   -   how water Pastic pipe insulation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/how-water-pastic-pipe-insulation-128341/)

s002wjh 12-31-2011 06:16 PM

how water Pastic pipe insulation
 
just like to know if hard plastic hot water pipe need any insulation. since pastic conduct less heat.

joecaption 12-31-2011 06:44 PM

Your resoning makes no since, but yes it needs to be insulated in most cases.
Mainly on where you live, where the pipes are located.

s002wjh 12-31-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 808616)
Your resoning makes no since, but yes it needs to be insulated in most cases.
Mainly on where you live, where the pipes are located.

well metal conduct more heat than plastic. when i touch a section that has both hot water copper pipe and plastic pipe. the temperature of plastic pipe is barely warm, however the copper pipe at the same section is too hot to touch. so insulation on plastic pipe cost/insulate ratio might not worth it, since it doesn't give out too much heat. however i'm not sure how much i would save if i insulate the plastic pipe.

joecaption 12-31-2011 07:00 PM

Not much but it will help keep it from freezing.

Windows on Wash 01-02-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s002wjh (Post 808625)
well metal conduct more heat than plastic. when i touch a section that has both hot water copper pipe and plastic pipe. the temperature of plastic pipe is barely warm, however the copper pipe at the same section is too hot to touch. so insulation on plastic pipe cost/insulate ratio might not worth it, since it doesn't give out too much heat. however i'm not sure how much i would save if i insulate the plastic pipe.

Next to nothing.

If the pipes are inside the conditioned space, don't bother.

Spend that money on caulking and sealant.

s002wjh 01-02-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 809914)
Next to nothing.

If the pipes are inside the conditioned space, don't bother.

Spend that money on caulking and sealant.

thanks, thats kind what i thought. on the other hand air condition/furnace supply line insulation in basement could provide better energy saving?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved