Homemade Insulated Dog House Walls & Floor - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Homemade insulated dog house walls & floor

I'm having to make a homemade dog house for my rather large Akbash mountain dog family (papa, mama and 12 wk old pup). I live in Region 5, western Colorado. I need a floor panel, roof panel, and 4 wall panels.

I had this design for making the panels utilizing empty water bottles. What do you think? Will this work well enough to keep in heat and block outside cold air? I wish I had some idea of the R value.

Cut 42" long x 36" tall 1/2" thick thick plywood panels. Glue 2x4s around inside edge of each wall panel perimeter, on the wide (4") side. Place additinal 2 x 4 down middle of the floor panel (so it won't sink under dog weight).

Place 2 layers 3mil plastic into cavity, draped over the 2 x 4s. Tightly pack 16.9 ounce empty-dry and capped plastic water bottles into the cavity. Pack Styrofoam scraps I have around the empty water bottles. Place another 2 layers of 3mil plastic over the cavity materials and glue and screw the top panel onto the bottom (into the 2 x 4s).

Adhere aluminum foil onto the interior panel surfaces. Paint the outside black. Staple tar paper and plastic onto roof to shed snow and rain.

The empty, air-filled water bottles fit perfectly between the two panel surfaces when compressed slightly.

Advertisement

ylekyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

The region does not matter. What matters is placing material over the XPS, to keep the pets from tearing it off and eating it. You will need to also place a heating mat inside I would also place straw in front of it, to keep it from getting muddy, and place some bails for a windbreak.

Keep in mind that dog houses, etc. do not last that long, because people do not spend much on them. That is why you see them rebuilt after four or five years.

Even up in Alaska and other areas, they do not go into as much work as you are planning, just for a dog shelter. That is because those type of breeds have large fat stores on their bodies, along with three layers of fur.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

I'm not following you. Are you saying I should or shouldn't do anything more to keep the dogs warm?
ylekyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylekyote View Post
I'm not following you. Are you saying I should or shouldn't do anything more to keep the dogs warm?
Not following me about what? See my reply for the answer.

If you read it. You will notice that I never stated to not do anything to insulate the dog house.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylekyote View Post
I'm having to make a homemade dog house for my rather large Akbash mountain dog family (papa, mama and 12 wk old pup). I live in Region 5, western Colorado. I need a floor panel, roof panel, and 4 wall panels.

I had this design for making the panels utilizing empty water bottles. What do you think? Will this work well enough to keep in heat and block outside cold air? I wish I had some idea of the R value.

Cut 42" long x 36" tall 1/2" thick thick plywood panels. Glue 2x4s around inside edge of each wall panel perimeter, on the wide (4") side. Place additinal 2 x 4 down middle of the floor panel (so it won't sink under dog weight).

Place 2 layers 3mil plastic into cavity, draped over the 2 x 4s. Tightly pack 16.9 ounce empty-dry and capped plastic water bottles into the cavity. Pack Styrofoam scraps I have around the empty water bottles. Place another 2 layers of 3mil plastic over the cavity materials and glue and screw the top panel onto the bottom (into the 2 x 4s).

Adhere aluminum foil onto the interior panel surfaces. Paint the outside black. Staple tar paper and plastic onto roof to shed snow and rain.

The empty, air-filled water bottles fit perfectly between the two panel surfaces when compressed slightly.
Take your idea to the Shark Tank TV show.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote