High Cost Of Insulation In Ontario - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

High Cost of Insulation in Ontario

I'm about to insulate my attic with OC R40 fiberglass bats. The price of a 48 sq ft bundle at my local Home Depot (Toronto) is $59.77. In Gloucester (Ottawa area) it is $41.25.
Does anyone have experience in making Home Depot match their prices? This Toronto price is 50% higher, and it represents about $400 on my project.

Advertisement

GuyBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Blown in is better than batts. You will find that you are wasting money putting batt insulation in the attic.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Gregzoll, thanks for replying, but with all due respect - your reply bears no relation to my question. My choice of insulation is based on much thought and many factors. But I want to know why prices in one location are so different from prices in another, and how to negotiate them in my favour.
GuyBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Chaos Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

Homedepot will not match the price unless it is a local store.

As to the negotiating in my xp they are less then able to help in the store. But if you find the same insulation locally and get a quote they will match it without question.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyBooth View Post
Gregzoll, thanks for replying, but with all due respect - your reply bears no relation to my question. My choice of insulation is based on much thought and many factors. But I want to know why prices in one location are so different from prices in another, and how to negotiate them in my favour.
Home Depot is in the business to make money. If you want to negotiate prices, consult with a contractor that does nothing but insulation. They will tell you the same thing I told you, that batts do nothing for insulating the attic space, to help make the living space better in comfortability, and that Blown-in is the best way to go.

Costs will be lower with blown-in vs. batts, once you start looking at the bottom line.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

Quote:
I'm about to insulate my attic with OC R40 fiberglass bats. The price of a 48 sq ft bundle at my local Home Depot (Toronto) is $59.77. In Gloucester (Ottawa area) it is $41.25.
Does anyone have experience in making Home Depot match their prices? This Toronto price is 50% higher, and it represents about $400 on my project.

Go with cellulose anyway.

+1 to the blown in recommendation.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
I'm not an insulator, however I recently bought a ton of insulation (like 60 batts). I found that home depot reduced the per-batt price by around $5 each for bulk purchases over 10 units.

I, like you, used batts because I didn't want to have to staple up a moisture barrier, then rent the machine to blow it all around, and measure it to make sure I get the height correct for R38 full height (including over the wall cavity). Perhaps it would have been a non-issue for a pro, but I wasn't about to hire someone.

-- Joe

Advertisement

anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote