Help With Foundation Insulation Due To Water - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Help with foundation insulation due to water

Hi All,

In my never ending battle with finishing my basement, while ripping down the "brand new" bathroom "they" built, I found substantial mold and moisture.

The bathroom is in the front left of the townhouse. The inside corner seems to have a slight leakage issue. However, if you notice in the picture, there is a crack in the brick, right where the water issue is inside.

I would love to dig that corner up outside and take a peek, but if I do, I'd like to know the best way to seal it. I've seen a black tar like substance on other houses as well as a dimpled membrane, etc.

If there is anything else I should be looking for or be doing, please let me know. Otherwise, just let me know what my steps are after digging up the front corner of the house.

Enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Help with foundation insulation due to water-photo.jpg   Help with foundation insulation due to water-photo-4.jpg   Help with foundation insulation due to water-photo-1.jpg   Help with foundation insulation due to water-photo-2.jpg   Help with foundation insulation due to water-photo-3.jpg  

Advertisement

Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,256

Are you sure the moisture is from outside to in?

Very common to see moldy walls in basement bathrooms as a result of moisture that is leaving from inside to out?

Unless you see evidence of bulk moisture transfer (i.e. pooling after rain, efflorescence, staining, etc), a foundation crack does not always = a leak.

That is likely a brick veneer and the actual wall (as indicated by your pictures) is a CMU block foundation that appears to be intact.

The mildew and mold is about 99% likely to have come from the shower and the condensation potential as a result of the drastic temperature spread.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

That is interesting and a great possibility. The fan they had in the bathroom sucked and wasn't properly attached to the vent outside, which was right in the area where the mold was found. And since the vent was not attached properly, the moisture picked up was dumped between the drywall and concrete...

However, when I ripped down the studs, the concrete block did look wet in that area and there hasn't been any showers in over a year (since I've bought the house)...

How else can I check to see if its an inside or outside thing? Take a hose and leave it on outside dumping water down for 20 mins?
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote