Help :) Electricians Moved Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help :) electricians moved insulation

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. Our house had new electrical wires put in just before we bought it. I noticed that the electricians pulled out the insulation to place their wires and then just left everything that way. Also I see that I seem to have a mix of different types of insulation. Can I just put some back with my hands under the wires?

I am attaching some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Help :) electricians moved insulation-1.jpg   Help :) electricians moved insulation-2.jpg  

Advertisement

ober76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome.

They should have smoothed it back over, but from the looks of it, they probably did you a favor.
Now would be the ideal time to add 10 or 20 more bundles of cellulose up there.

DM

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Yes, you can put it back by hand. But DangerMouse is correct. You should really consider increasing your insulation there.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

thanks for the replies so quickly.

So it will be ok to cover those wires with extra insulation?

As I understand I should stick to cellulose as well?

Finally I had to extra vents put in this summer so that I now have three in the roof, but I don't have soffits or any intake vents, will adding the extra layer of insulation be ok?

Thanks again guys
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
Hi and welcome.

They should have smoothed it back over, but from the looks of it, they probably did you a favor.
Now would be the ideal time to add 10 or 20 more bundles of cellulose up there.

DM
Or more. Go to hd they will let you use their machine for free.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ober76 View Post
thanks for the replies so quickly.

Finally I had to extra vents put in this summer so that I now have three in the roof, but I don't have soffits or any intake vents, will adding the extra layer of insulation be ok?

Thanks again guys
You do need soffit vents, or air intake, of some kind. try a search here (or google) about roof venting, cold roofs, etc... to give you an idea of how it should be done right.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Time for increased ventilation and insulation.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,052

Welcome to the forum!

They drilled holes too close to the top of ceiling joists, strengthen them first. http://arch.umd.edu/Tech/Structural_..._Guide_A11.pdf

Your knee walls with the plaster/lath showing should be insulated and house-wrapped or foam board and covered with mineral wool batt for an ignition barrier. Also close off the space below the knee walls to stop cold air from entering there, chilling the room ceiling below. If you spray cellulose on top of the existing fiberglass, it will compress and negate it's value as well as leave pockets for wind washing or air paths.

Air seal the attic first; http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021105092.pdf

Add ventilation baffles at the soffit vents (depends on location), insulate walls and attic floor (R-value depends on location), cover with housewrap to prevent wind-washing, and insulate and air seal the attic access hatch.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 10-10-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: correction
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #9

Thanks folks, I knew things were not looking quite right up there.

I will make this a project. The only thing that I worry about is the intake vents/ soffits as this house is about 100 or so years old and I don't know if there is a place to put them in. Can intake vents be on the roof itself somehow? Right now I have three vents on the back roof (the square types). Someone mentioned that the round vents that spin are better but then I read that in climates like here (Toronto) they can get jammed in the winter.

Also I noticed a very small opening between the side of the house and the roof, I could see the sunlight coming through (photo attached) should I be using some kind of foam spray to seal that up?

I really appreciate your help, I have had some roofers in from different companies and it seems that either they don't know or are simply trying to squeeze as much cash out of you as humanly possible. Nobody from any of these companies gave me the details and info that I have received in the post so far.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Help :) electricians moved insulation-holewall.jpg   Help :) electricians moved insulation-holewall2.jpg   Help :) electricians moved insulation-holewall3.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #10

Since I am already braced for bad news this morning I have one more question.

I noticed on the walls whitish mold, not a lot but still. There is no moldy smell up there but I wanted a quick opinion. Again I asked roofers and an electrician and they said that it was nothing but. .

Please take a look.

Thanks again folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Help :) electricians moved insulation-mold.jpg   Help :) electricians moved insulation-mold2.jpg   Help :) electricians moved insulation-mold3.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #11

Sorry to be a pain

Is this the type of electric light slot that one can place insulation over, or should it be left open so that the heat from the lights wont heat the insulation?

I guess I really need to get moving and fix all of these issues before another winter. To be honest I wonder how all these old homes survived all of these years with so many issues... and how they could have been renovated so badly

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Help :) electricians moved insulation-electrics.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
foam board and covered with fiberglass batt for an ignition barrier.
Fiberglass is not an approved ignition barrier. Mineral Fiber is.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 266

That doesn't look like a recessed light fixture so you should be fine. If it isn't a recessed light it should be venting most of it's heat into the room it's lighting.

And you can always change the light fixture to CFL or LED just to be safe
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,052

“Can intake vents be on the roof itself somehow?”---- Yes: http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

Or: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/in-vent.cfm

Fascia vented: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/PDF/S4002P.pdf

“Also I noticed a very small opening between the side of the house and the roof, I could see the sunlight coming through (photo attached) should I be using some kind of foam spray to seal that up?” --- yes, canned foam or caulking on backer rod.

“Nobody from any of these companies gave me the details and info that I have received in the post so far.” ----- That’s why DIY Chatroom is the best place for help!

Good catch, AGW. Another thing I shouldn’t do late at night, answer in detail…..I corrected fiberglass to mineral wool in my original post, as per code. You can fire-block using fiberglass, not to get more confused. http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par032.htm

That light box is fine to cover, only the unrated or older can lights.

The second picture appears to be white mold/mildew, maybe our resident mold expert will chime in- Maintenance6?

Gary
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 588

On your mold2.jpg, is that an insulator? Do you still have any active knob and tube wiring?

Halfway up the joist on the left.

Advertisement

AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote