Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Share |

Heating/Insulation advice

I have a weekend cabin that is nothing but studs and siding including the cathedral ceiling - no insulation. The floor does have closed cell insulation. Unfortunately the wood is all gorgeous wormy chestnut which I hate to cover. Any suggestions on how to insulate? Insulated external siding? SIP for the roof? Or since it's a weekend home, should I just out-heat the place by increasing the number of gas heaters? I currently have one 40,000btu gas stove/heater that can keep it in the low 60 dgree range on cold winter days but I'd like to use the place in the winter more often. Maybe if I get two blue flame heaters to assist? Remember it's only used 1 or 2 nights each weekend. Should I assume the cost of the siding, roof, ect. would never be exceeded by the higher gas bills? Please advise I love the place and want to do what's right.
Jeromet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #2

knowing where the cabin is located would certainly aid in getting useful suggestions. a few photos if available also helps.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Central Pennsylvania. Additionally, when not in use I keep cabin at 45 degrees. Gas bills are about $60 a month during winter months. Again I only use it on weekends but want to get it warmer.
Jeromet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

It is safe to assume that removing and re-doing the siding as well as adding a sip roof would be a long term ROI calculation on the fuel savings along and especially at only $60 per month.

If you are trying to preserve the look, that does seem like the best alternative though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote