Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |

Have my walls open, now what?

I'm renovating a 1960's built family room right now and have my walls open and the crappy (~1" thick) insulation pulled out. Before I put in new R15, is there anything else I should do to improve energy efficiency? Would some fire block Great Stuff where the studs meet the top and bottom plates help? Anything else I can do? I live in MA, 2x4 construction, going to use batts.

SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
JOATMON

You only need to seal up holes....

What is on the outside?

As I understand it...the 'best' method is to have a air barrier between the studs and outside covering....or...the air barrier between the inside drywall and studs....

On side needs to breath slightly without letting air through.'

GB, O'Mike, Joe, or one of the other experts will be along shortly with some great links. I don't have them handy...but if you do a search on "Green Home Building", you might find them...there is one good section on insulation....I didn't read it too close since I don't have the weather extremes you do.

BTW...thanks for getting your location in your profile....

And...while you have those walls open...good time to run any extra ckts, Ethernet and coax you might want.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You only need to seal up holes....

What is on the outside?

As I understand it...the 'best' method is to have a air barrier between the studs and outside covering....or...the air barrier between the inside drywall and studs....

On side needs to breath slightly without letting air through.'

GB, O'Mike, Joe, or one of the other experts will be along shortly with some great links. I don't have them handy...but if you do a search on "Green Home Building", you might find them...there is one good section on insulation....I didn't read it too close since I don't have the weather extremes you do.

BTW...thanks for getting your location in your profile....

And...while you have those walls open...good time to run any extra ckts, Ethernet and coax you might want.
Yup, I'm running power to the TV above the fireplace, coax in the wall, speaker wire for surround, and moving the phone jacks. Outside of the house is clapboard. I think there is some sort of house wrap from what I can see. Thanks for the help, I will do some more searching as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan44 View Post
going to use batts.
batts of what ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Now would be the time to build those walls out so you could at least meet minimum codes for insulation in your area.
Your area would require at least R-19.
Any money in the budget for having it foamed?
DaveWolfOC (07-17-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
batts of what ?
Batts of JM insulation is the plan.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Now would be the time to build those walls out so you could at least meet minimum codes for insulation in your area.
Your area would require at least R-19.
Any money in the budget for having it foamed?
If I was doing the whole house I would use foam, but I feel like I'm not going to get much gain from one room; the air is just going to find another way out through another room. Plus we're not going to be there for very long, 4-5 years most likely.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

Hi, SoxFan44. I’m the senior research and development program leader at Owens Corning and this is right in my area of expertise, so I wanted to see if I could provide some insights.

First of all, while the wall cavity is open, it’s a great opportunity to air seal any joints in the cavity that connect to the outside (for example, where studs and plates meet the sheathing), as well as any through-floor penetrations that should be fire-blocked – as DDawg16 pointed out. Full disclosure, we have a product called EnergyComplete Sealant that will do the job and there are other air sealing options available on the market.

Also, SoxFan44 – really glad to hear that you’re already thinking about trying to get as much R value into the wall cavity as you can by installing an R-15 batt. I just wanted to echo what joecaption said about furring out the wall cavity a bit further and going up to R-19 – that would be even better.

Hope this helps.

DaveWolfOC is offline   Reply With Quote