Garage Door Installation ? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Garage door installation ?

I live in SW Florida and my garage is south facing. so basically it gets a healthy dose of sun shining on it all day long.

During summer time, and well even winter, it can become unbearable to be in the garage. Actually i also believe its costing me money. My auto's and motorcycle batteries seem to have a short life of just over 2yrs.. I suspect the high heat has something to do with it.

Even had some breakers give me problems during the summer months.

Was wondering if just insulating my garage doors (two of them as its a 3 car garage) would actually help, or would it be a waste of money?

Advertisement

TheDoc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,644

Re: Garage door installation ?

Gloss white paint on the outside and insulation on the inside would help some but may not be enough. My folks have a south facing garage door in Fort Myers and leaving it down during the day makes a huge difference in how hot the garage gets but it still is unpleasant.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,800

Depending on what brand doors you have, the manufacturer should have an insulation kit for it. The rigid foam panels are all precut and have a number of kerf cuts in them. You bow them to snap them into place, and then there's a small plastic L-shaped trim piece that hides the one edge that is visible. The styrofoam will have a textured vinyl facing on the side that shows once installed.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Depending on what brand doors you have, the manufacturer should have an insulation kit for it. The rigid foam panels are all precut and have a number of kerf cuts in them. You bow them to snap them into place, and then there's a small plastic L-shaped trim piece that hides the one edge that is visible. The styrofoam will have a textured vinyl facing on the side that shows once installed.
Mike Hawkins
The kit may not work in SW Florida. They have extra hurricane bars on the doors that get placed irregularly.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 118

Check the attic above the garage if you have one, to save a few bucks many builders do not put insulation there. It's a cheap and easy DIY to insulate there first and will make a big difference.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
The kit may not work in SW Florida. They have extra hurricane bars on the doors that get placed irregularly.
I noticed that when I went to visit a friend that had a house built in Naples, fla. they just put a strut on each section. They could be removed one at a time and reinstalled very easily with a cordless impact.
Mike Hawkins
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 12,828

How is the roof vented? No venting, you have an oven.
What colors, the roof and door? Dark colors, more heat.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 44

Here's a pic of the said garage doors. (excuse the mess I'm in the middle of a plantation shutter project), Yes unfortunately from the outside its a dark brown color, but i wouldn't be allowed to change the color.. Its a reasonably new community with strict HOA rules. The roof is also dark, again can't change. The above garage attic, is un-insulated storage space. I have toyed on the idea of insulating that also.

For now tho, i'd like just to somewhat reduce the temps in summer, and perhaps keep the cooler air in there for winter. The company that installed the door for our home and the community, do offer an insulation package, but it runs over $500.. If i knew what sort of temp reduction, i could expect in summer, i could even be tempted to go with that, but if its something i can do myself, for a couple of hundred, then obviously that's better.. However my understanding is that spring adjustment is also critical if the insulation goes above 10lb ? If i could somehow just get that temp down so that the 6 auto batteries in that garage (2 cars and 4 bikes) could somehow make it past 2yrs, it may even pay for itself after a few !

TheDoc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

Doc,
Look around on the doors and you should find a tag with the manufacturer's name. Once you find out who made the door, then look for a distributor nearby and stop in and see them. Bring your door sizes and a pic or two and see if theyll sell you the insulation kits for each. Do one section at a time and take the struts off, install the insulation pieces, and then put the struts back on. Like I said before, a cordless impact and a 7/16" socket should make quick work of it. As far as the added weight goes, you might need an extra wind on the springs when you're done. I would install the insulation, then disconnect the opener and raise the door by hand. If you can raise the door yourself without to much grunting, then I would leave it alone. Openers can make up for a slightly heavy door. If it is too much of a strain, have a local independent garage door guy stop by and put an extra turn on the springs. Should only be a service call charge.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement