Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |

gap around attic entry of furnace flue

I posted this yesterday in the HVAC forum before realizing that it would probably be better here in the insulation forum. I recently went in my upper attic (tri-level home) and added an additional layer of R30 unfaced fiberglass insulation over the existing R30. While up there I noticed that there is a large gap, approximately 2"-3" at it's widest point where the furnace flue enters the attic. I think I need to go back up there and seal it before the winter sets in. Before I climb up there though, I checked the furnace room as well and saw that there is another huge gap where the flue goes up through the floor above. See attached pics. The first one shows an overall view of the furnace flue as it goes up through the floor above. The second pic shows a closeup of the large opening.
My question is if I seal the bottom opening above the furnace is it necessary to do the same in the attic? I hate climbing up into the attic and have been up there twice in the last month. I'm getting too old for this stuff. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
gap around attic entry of furnace flue-gap.jpg   gap around attic entry of furnace flue-img_2724.jpg  

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Pack it with Rockwool and call it done. The big problem is getting to all four sides, so that may mean dismantling that duct work to get to that bottom side, then you have to do the same from the attic side, so that way you have a fire stop barrier all the way up that chase.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

And add some sheet metal over the air-permeable Rock wool. The subfloor is your air barrier, as is the top floor ceiling drywall to attic; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_par052.htm

Gary
Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Thank you both. I guess I have to go back in the attic one more time to take care of this. Not looking forward to it but i think it needs to be done.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
Thank you both. I guess I have to go back in the attic one more time to take care of this. Not looking forward to it but i think it needs to be done.
Play the role of Supervisor, and find some neighborhood kid that wants to make a few bucks, and send them up there to do it. Plus it teaches them something new.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #6

Ya like how to fix drywall when he miss steps and falls through the ceiling.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Ya like how to fix drywall when he miss steps and falls through the ceiling.
That only happens, if the person is not paying attention. If you are a good supervisor, you will tell them where to step, and where not to step. Also helps if you have boards like Car Siding, which I use up in my attic, for a place to step or sit on, when I am working up in my attic.

I have four sections of 3' Car siding that I just move around to where I am going to be working at. It has worked for me for the past seven years, and no worry about stepping through the ceiling.

Joe, you have to think and work smarter, not harder.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

I'm with Joe on this, too much liability involved. Had adult employees that couldn't follow implicit step-by-step directions (no pun intended) let alone a teenager. Break an arm, leg or neck, doubt the HO Insurance policy covers that as you are hiring him... lose the house, car, dog, ? ouch. Putting a minor in a possibly dangerous position..... IMHO.

Add some Tyvek housewrap to stop the low-density R-30 from attic ventilation/convective looping -wind-washing the R-value; http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ventilation%22

Gary
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Gary, it is no different then sending your own kid up into the attic, or other family member. As long as the person you are having to do the work, knows what you want them to do, and do not have their head between their legs, they will be competent to do the work.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #10

That's great helping minors near you but check with the legalities first, IMO. Having my own business for 15 years gives me some incite, contact legal support near you. If hiring a minor you are required parental consent. Per Dept. Labor/Ind. and Revenue, that person requires personal insurance/liability/accident/etc. Do you really believe the parents could not law-suit you and win as you hired (for money) their child (minor) without their consent or knowledge? Even with consent and they did fall through the ceiling and you were "blood-guilt" wouldn't you feel a little ignorant that others on here warned you... IMO, as always. The key word here is "minor".

https://www.google.com/#q=hiring+a+minor+in+illinois

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 11-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Gary, no one stated that the person had to be a minor. All I stated was to find a neighborhood kid. That could mean that they could be over the age of 18. As for labor laws, they do not apply in this purpose, because you are not an actual employer, you are just having the local kid/young adult help you out.

Lots of young kids in neighborhoods are willing to make a few dollars, helping out those in their neighborhood all of the time.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #12

The good ol days. Neighborhood kids trying to hustle a buck are no longer around these days. And if they were they would demand prevailing wage.
oh'mike (11-17-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
The good ol days. Neighborhood kids trying to hustle a buck are no longer around these days. And if they were they would demand prevailing wage.
Not that way in my neighborhood. My 17 y/o does work for a couple of neighbors. One pays him a monthly fee, the other pays depending on the job. They have had him do some heavy lifting work since he also does wrestling in h.s., but also he brings in groceries for the neighbor next to us, because she is unable to.

He will also climb roofs to cut branches hanging on them, clean out gutters, use the chainsaw to cut out brush or small trees. Not every kid out there is incompetent, in that all they know what to do, is play video games. If you teach your kids proper skill sets, and how to handle power tools properly, or even follow directions, they are better at doing stuff, then most adults out there.

There are still plenty of kids that are willing to make a few dollars, for helping out neighbors or others.

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #14

I sure wish you were my neighbor the last couple of years. There is a lot of stuff that just can't be done with 2 hands and your boy would have been a tremendous help.
gregzoll (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #15

back on topic.

i don't see why "packing" roxul in there wouldn't be all that is needed.

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote