Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Foam Bowed Door Frame Question

Previous owner used wrong foam on door seal and now its bowed. Door opens/closes but gets stuck in one spot.

Is it possible to just remove/cut out the old foam and will the door frame "relax" itself back a bit cause the pressure is removed?

Not sure what to do - but i was thinking of removing the trim and cutting out the old foam. Sounds like too easy of a solution so I figured i would ask.

If that wont work - im open to suggestions.

spaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Popping trim and taking a look to see if it is in fact packed with foam isn't hard to do. Neither is raking out the foam to see if that does it. Providing you can confidently get the trim off without breakage, then you're looking at about $7 and 1/2 hour's time. $5-6 for more (non-expanding) foam and $1 for a few trim nails to put the trim back up.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
Popping trim and taking a look to see if it is in fact packed with foam isn't hard to do. Neither is raking out the foam to see if that does it. Providing you can confidently get the trim off without breakage, then you're looking at about $7 and 1/2 hour's time. $5-6 for more (non-expanding) foam and $1 for a few trim nails to put the trim back up.
Thanks - it just sounded too easy of a solution. Was not sure if there was any permanant damage to the door frame.

thanks again - its driving me CRAZY so i will be doing this this evening!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
Thanks - it just sounded too easy of a solution. Was not sure if there was any permanant damage to the door frame.

thanks again - its driving me CRAZY so i will be doing this this evening!
There may very well be permanent bowing of the frame from it, but it's such an easy process to remove the foam from that area, that it's worth a try first.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

do you have any pics? where is the door sticking?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
do you have any pics? where is the door sticking?
Here is a picture... red circle shows were it was bowed.

I removed the trim last evening - cut out the foam on the top section were it was bowed with a drywall knife.

MUCH smoother open/close functionality. Prior to removing it I had to push it shut with a lot of force. Now I can just give it a push and it closes on its own.

Need to get a can of the window/door foam and reapply (almost afraid to at this point).

The odd thing is that where the frame bowed - it didn't seem like there was an abundance of Foam insulation. Actually seems like there is more towards the bottom/middle and that part of the frame is fine.

Thanks for the guidance - now its time to dust off the compressor/nail gun to put that trim back on - always something to do!!! (somehow i thought buying a home that was built in 1906 and brining it back to life was going to be an easy/fun project!)
Attached Thumbnails
Foam Bowed Door Frame Question-removed.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
Here is a picture... red circle shows were it was bowed.

I removed the trim last evening - cut out the foam on the top section were it was bowed with a drywall knife.

MUCH smoother open/close functionality. Prior to removing it I had to push it shut with a lot of force. Now I can just give it a push and it closes on its own.

Need to get a can of the window/door foam and reapply (almost afraid to at this point).

The odd thing is that where the frame bowed - it didn't seem like there was an abundance of Foam insulation. Actually seems like there is more towards the bottom/middle and that part of the frame is fine.

Thanks for the guidance - now its time to dust off the compressor/nail gun to put that trim back on - always something to do!!! (somehow i thought buying a home that was built in 1906 and brining it back to life was going to be an easy/fun project!)
that door jamb gets pretty tight at the top, doesn't really look like it has much room to move back either
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
that door jamb gets pretty tight at the top, doesn't really look like it has much room to move back either
I was thinking the same thing - I might take out the current screw and re-shim it.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

The door could also be sagging away from the hinges. How is the reveal on the top of the hinge side? If it looks big, check to make sure there is one or two longs screws through the top hinge into the jamb.

pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pkrapp74 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-10-2012)