Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

Foam Board Question???

I have been insulating the interior of my poured basement walls and rim joists on my way to finishing my basment. I am using 2 inch pink XPS sheets as recommended here. They are costing me about $27/sheet.

My friend has a neighbor that is building a new home and has some left over 2 inch Dow Styrofoam board that the contractor was using. I can get this pretty cheap, but I am concerned that it is different than what I am currently using and I don't want to cause an issue.

It is blue and say's Dow Styrofoam "utility fit" on it. When I searched it on line it claims it is XPS, but the boards do not say XPS on them like my current boards do.

I dont know where in the home the contractor was using the blue foam boards, but I am assuming that it was maybe around the foundation as the rest of the house has not progressed very far.

Would this board work for basement walls and rim joists? Is it the same as my current pink XPS sheets?

Rooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #2

Foam Board Question???

Go for it, Rooki.

No need to buy, however, just go in there after the workers have left at night.

Don't leave any tracks heading towards your house, however.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

Foam Board Question???

I was also going to use the blue Dow 2in foam Tongue and Groove. However, Home Depot only special orders this for 50.00+ per sheet. Not to mention I had to buy at least 192 or 196 sheets... So I found a store that had the 1 and 2 in Owens Corning pink foam. The 1x2x4 is $9.90 and the 2x2x4 is 16.64. I was going to double up the 1 in to make it 2 in, but stagger the seams...
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Foam Board Question???

Careful! Most foam board is not fire rated and you have to seal it with drywall.
Could void fire insurance or have claim denied.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Foam Board Question???

Check craigslist. Generally somebody on there has some for sale depending on where you live. I found a roofing contractor who removed 200pcs of 3"x4'x8' from a commercial building and was selling them for $15 each. He was tired of people buying 3 here or 10 there, we worked out a deal on 50 pieces to do my rim joists and basement. Saved me at least $1500 so my wife can deal with them sitting in a pile in the basement until I can drylok it first
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Foam Board Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Check craigslist. Generally somebody on there has some for sale depending on where you live. I found a roofing contractor who removed 200pcs of 3"x4'x8' from a commercial building and was selling them for $15 each. He was tired of people buying 3 here or 10 there, we worked out a deal on 50 pieces to do my rim joists and basement. Saved me at least $1500 so my wife can deal with them sitting in a pile in the basement until I can drylok it first
3" of Polyiso or XPS will do exactly what drylok does. So save your ear drums from the wifes complaints, your arms from the paint roller, and your wallet from the store, and just put up the foam already. Just be sure to cover it with a thermal/ignition barrier per code.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

Foam Board Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
3" of Polyiso or XPS will do exactly what drylok does.
Can't agree with you here. I have yet to see foam board designed to penetrate the concrete to form a 15 year waterproof warranty like Drylok. If you do not seal the concrete first you are running the risk of a hidden leak down the road and having to tear down the foam to find out where it is. A few hundred dollars invested in Drylok is worth it to not have to rip down a few thousand dollars in foam board to locate a leak. Already got my first coat on!
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

Foam Board Question???

As I noted on another thread yesterday, be very careful buying pulled foam from roofers. If it has been pulled for a reason (like it has been wet and gone through freeze/thaw cycles) it may be pretty useless. Apparently the cycles break up the foam and any moisture that gets near them will wick in, and freeze again, rendering the R value negligible. If the foam is good, why was it replaced?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #9

Foam Board Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Can't agree with you here. I have yet to see foam board designed to penetrate the concrete to form a 15 year waterproof warranty like Drylok. If you do not seal the concrete first you are running the risk of a hidden leak down the road and having to tear down the foam to find out where it is. A few hundred dollars invested in Drylok is worth it to not have to rip down a few thousand dollars in foam board to locate a leak. Already got my first coat on!
I will abstain from any further argument on the topic, but do you really think a coat of paint (yes drylok is paint) will stop a leak? Best of luck to you!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Foam Board Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
I will abstain from any further argument on the topic, but do you really think a coat of paint (yes drylok is paint) will stop a leak? Best of luck to you!
+1

If you have a leak, all drylok will do is mask where it is originating in some cases.

XPS and EPS are far less susceptible to degradation if I recall correctly. Most XPS and EPS are skinned of some sort and therefore absorb little to no moisture.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #11

Foam Board Question???

Find “Waldo” (dryloc) on the concrete wall:

1. locate vapor barriers on the outside-allow inward drying to the space

2. right below photo 2: plastic (or dryloc) v.b. prevents inward drying

3. right below photo 3; plastic film prevents inward drying

4. 5th para. below fig. 9-allow foundations to dry inwards; be vapor semi-impermeable, vapor semi-permeable, or vapor permeable---- not vapor impermeable (dryloc)

5. third point below fig.10--- rigid foam board is vapor semi-impermeable or semi-permeable (no plastic facings or foil) which would make them vapor impermeable (like dryloc)

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1

Gary