Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foam Board Insulation issues

I am not in the building trades so I am seeking some help and advice from the pros.

I contracted to have new vinyl siding applied to my existing home in the Detroit area which included foam board insulation underneath. The crew removed the old aluminum siding and the trim caps around the existing vinyl windows. They applied 3/4in. foam board to the work area and siding channels around the effected windows and corners. This was followed by the new vinyl siding and aluminum trim and gutters.

The house looks very nice but the interior has very cold zones which have become a big problem. I checked the windows to be sure they are closed and all seems good there. I called the contarctor out about this condition and he had the installer caulk around the trim where it meets the brickwork but it didn't cure the condition. I might even be concerned about water drainage now that the excape route is blocked.?

I called the contractor again and he claims the project was done correctly and we must have another issue that is creating the problem. I questioned him about taping the seams and edges of the foam board insulation and he said it was not necessary and would trap moisture against the home. The problem with that explaination is that all of my follow-up to this on the internet DIY videos all show the steps to properly tape the seams, joints, including windows to prevent air leaks. I should also mention that I don't have this problem at windows that weren't touched by this project.

Should I expect to have all of the insulation joints/seams sealed?

What is the accepted industry standard for this type of application of foam board?

Did I get a contractor who has (hopefully) the correct materials but is lazy in applying them to ensure they are effective?

I thank you in advance for any advice/info you can provide.

Last edited by zpotas; 04-18-2012 at 09:57 AM.
zpotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,034

Did the contractor apply a WRB over the top of the foam?

If not, the seams should have taped as a must.

Taping the seam is preferred and water should not be getting behind the foam regardless and not taping the seams to allow for and exit path largely defeats some of the benefit of the foam (i.e. air tightness).

Ask him about the WRB (Tyvek or equivalent) and if they used one, the taping of the seams (while not good for air tightness) is more permitted.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Did the contractor apply a WRB over the top of the foam?

If not, the seams should have taped as a must.

Taping the seam is preferred and water should not be getting behind the foam regardless and not taping the seams to allow for and exit path largely defeats some of the benefit of the foam (i.e. air tightness).

Ask him about the WRB (Tyvek or equivalent) and if they used one, the taping of the seams (while not good for air tightness) is more permitted.
There was no additional wrap to the home. In fact, I believe there were gaps between the jointed foam panel edges. I guess I am in for some calling to get a solution. Problem is, the check has already been cashed. Thanks once more for your help.
Z Potas
zpotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

i don't think the foam has anything to do with your problem
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
zpotas (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

"I thank you in advance for any advice/info you can provide. "-------

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...istive-barrier

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...w_flashing.pdf

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-wall-systems

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...stive-barriers

Is there oriented strand board for sheathing under the foamboard? If so, that is where you need the air gap from a stucco wrap; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d%20in%20walls

Gary