Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace Draught

Hello,

I have a Heat n Glo fireplace in my home. It is natural gas with an electric starter pilot. The vent is simply a metal housing that connects on the outside of the house through to the inner housing of the fireplace itself. There is a lower cavity below the fireplace, where the utilities (power and natural gas) feed into the unit.

When the weather gets cold (I live in Canada, so it gets very cold), I can feel a consistent draught from the hole in the lower cavity. I'm wondering what I can use to insulate and seal the hole? Any suggestions? I've attached pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Draught-img00280-20111023-1617.jpg   Fireplace Draught-hole.jpg  

sjct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,034

Fireplace Draught

Closing off that hole will not eliminate the air that will coming from around that fireplace insert.

We typically remove the siding or exterior (if removable) and repair/seal it from that side.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace Draught

Thanks Windows. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. I guess the most likely source of the air coming through is the wall that the fireplace itself sits in.
sjct is offline   Reply With Quote