Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Share |

Fireblocking top of rigid foam board?

I am currently about to glue rigid foam board to my concrete walls. My question is does there need to be something above the rigid foam board or can it extend all the way to the joist and then have the 2x4 wall sit infront of that?

Another option I thought was 2x4 snug against the joist and then the rigid foam board will not be exposed at all but then there will be a gap in front which I was concerned would cause problems when drywall and mudding the ceiling to the wall.

I have searched for an answer and it looks like most of the time there is nothing over the top of it and I was just concerned that this would cause me more work later.

I have read the fireblocking thread a couple times and haven't really found a direct answer.
ndmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Fireblocking top of rigid foam board?

You need fire-stop material between the foam and the floor joist cavities above, also blocked every 10' across the length of the wall: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm I usually use a ripped down 2x4 to the foam board thickness, nailed and caulked tight to the wall top plate. Get 2 for the price of 1....LOL.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote