Finishing the garage with insulation and drywall.
I want to finish my garage with insulation and drywall. It is a ranch style home with an attached garage. The attic above the house is open to the attic area above the garage. I do not plan on heating the garage. I just want it to be warmer than outside during the winter months. I am worried about the effects of moisture.
1. I plan on putting 9" insulation in the garage ceiling and 3/12" insulation in the walls.
2. Should I isolate the attic area above the house with a wall between the attic above the garage?
3. Should I use a moisture barrier in the garage walls (walls that face the outside) or ceiling?
4. Should a moisture barrier be used in the wall between the house and garage?
5. Should I install moisture resistant drywall (5/8" for ceiling and 1/2" for walls?
6. Should I install a ventilation fan?
7. Should a drain with a drywell be installed to cut down on water build up from melting snow?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Snapper12; 10-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Reason: Add closing statement