Finished Attic Insulation And Ventilation Choices - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finished attic Insulation and ventilation choices

I have a 1.5 story ranch in PA with an attic that I am finishing. I am insulating first but have questions about whether or not I have adequate ventilation. I have a 70 ft attic with a continuous ridge vent at the peak the entire length. In the rear center of the attic is a 40 ft dormer with soffit vents below but only on the rear of the house. The front and the ends of the home are a cathedral ceiling with no soffitt vents. I am concerned about having enough ventilation throughout and am wondering if I need to add soffits on the front and ends, or maybe roof vents to increase airflow between the bottom and ridge vent . Or maybe somebody has other ideas I haven't thought of...any thoughts are appreciated.

Advertisement

PAFixerUpperGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Finished attic Insulation and ventilation choices

Welcome to the forums!

To get started, figure out what you need: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Some ideas on vented attics: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

Gary

Advertisement