Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior door weather stripping

My front door needs weather stripping around the bottom and about halfway up. Can somebody explain to me the best way to do this? I can see daylight through the bottom corner. I'm new to any DIY projects but I have to learn this stuff sooner or later. Thanks to all.
trixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #2

First, You need to tighten loose hinges.
Next is buy weatherstripping for your door. There are different kinds of weatherstripping, I personally like the wrapped foam type because it's durable, retains its shape, withstands abrasions and conforms to a wide range of gaps.

After buying, Measure the jamb. Close the door and measure the frame from side to side. Mark the length on your purchased weatherstripping with a clear, sharp line then cut the weatherstripping. Now position the weatherstripping if it fits and check if the entire length seals against the door. File or sand the edges to make it clean and smooth and adjust the cuts if needed. You can now nail/screw it in place. Open and close the door several times to make sure the weatherstripping seals against the door and the door latches and locks. Adjust the weatherstripping as needed. Now that's how you do it! Hope it helps!
christopherbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #3

Thanks, this helps a lot but it sounds like I need to remove the door to install the weather stripping, which is impossible for me to do. I think think this job needs to be hired out. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

How it's done depends on the style of door you have.
A 100 year old wooden door would be done totally different then a modern door with built in weather stripping.
Got some pictures?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #5

It's a fiberglass door made by Stanley, about 18 years old and large. I live in Michigan and the seasons here can be brutal especially since the door faces south. I can't manage taking the door off myself. I am now thinking an air tight good quality storm door, which I always wanted to begin with. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

If you're talking about the weatherstripping that goes on the door frame, and the door closes against, that might be easy. You shouldn't have to remove the door. If it's "only" 18 years old, the existing weatherstripping is probably the kind that inserts in a kerf slot. You don't even need adhesive or staples; it just pulls out. If so, you can just pull each piece, measure it, then cut the new stuff to the same (unless it's completely tattered or shrunken, of course).
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to operagost For This Useful Post:
trixx2 (09-25-2013)