Extending 2x4 To 2x6 - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 123pugsy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 41
Default

Extending 2x4 to 2x6


So i want to add some 2x2 strips to my 2x4 studs to make them 2x6 which would give me space to fit in Roxul R23 which fits into a 5 1/2 inch stud (2x6). The issue im having is that my 2x4 are actually only 3 1/2 inch wide and the only 2x2 i can find are only 1 1/2 inch wide which gives me 5 inch studs. Am i able to compress the insulation 1/2 inch. Or should I do something else all together?

Advertisement

biddlecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 11,485
Rewards Points: 2,124
Blog Entries: 2
Default


News alert....

A 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5....been that way for a long time....2x6 is 1.5 x 5.5....

Maybe a bit more information...like where you live....what the existing wall is like....we are assuming that you have already pulled all of the drywall off...

Lacking any more info....if it was me....I would rip some 2x6's down the middle...or just sister 2x4's to the existing studs so that they stick out the depth you want.

Advertisement

__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,730
Rewards Points: 526
Default


Compressing it 1/2" will reduce the total R-value by around R-2, similar to R-15 (high density) fiberglass in 3-1/2 to 2-1/2" wall; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...fiberglass.JPG

Gary
PS. you will gain in density though; http://books.google.com/books?id=e5h...inches&f=false
__________________
If any ads are present below my answer or words underlined/colored, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed/linked to, they are there without my consent.
17,000 dryer fires a year, when did you last clean the inside of the dryer near motor or the exhaust ducting?

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-20-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 3,019
Rewards Points: 1,634
Default


Rip some strips of 1/2'' plywood to put behind the 2x2's.
Bud9051 likes this.
__________________
Pugsy.....my project: Total House Rebuild Bungalow to Two Story
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 6,290
Rewards Points: 240
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
or just sister 2x4's to the existing studs so that they stick out the depth you want.
i did that to square up a wall, and fur it out 1". it was a PITA to get the roxul to fit properly = every piece of roxul had to be custom trimmed/fitted = no fun at all.

biddle
decide what you want in the wall. find the thickness of it all. rip strips to the right size. caulk and nail them to the 2x4's.

been there, done both.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 34
Rewards Points: 68
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


The term for your (nominal) 2x2 extenders is "furring strips". You can do this, with some limitations depending on the applicable codes. I have investigated this myself, as my house is also 2x4 construction (although real heartwood pine 2.0"x4.0" from the good ol' days). The main limitations I have found are related to the following areas, which may or may not be relevant in your case:
  • Below-grade walls
  • Fire-rated walls (generally commercial code only)
  • Exterior-facing walls
  • Type of wall covering being attached
  • Stud spacing (I believe you can't fur out studs spaced >24" o.c.)
  • Thickness of wall covering (very thin panels can't be furred out)
  • Furring has some potential impact on the routing of wiring in the wall
Furring is definitely a better option than compressing insulation, which in most cases undermines the entire design and function of the insulation product.

I may run into a problem with not being able to fur out far enough, as I am trying to achieve an extreme level of efficiency for LEED/PassivHaus. Since the answers are relevant to the OP's project, I don't think it would be hijacking the thread to ask:

1. Could I sister up 2x8s in order to get even more depth?
2. Does anyone know what sort of search terms I should use in the IRC/IBC to find info on "furring by sistering"?
3. Can I sister them with a slight offset so that the total depth is >8"?
jazzop89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,975
Rewards Points: 1,374
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


OP,
Is ripping 2x4s out of the question? you would loose a little depth from 5.5" but only about 1/4" or R1.
I call them sleepers.
__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 11,485
Rewards Points: 2,124
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


4 year old thread....
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 611
Rewards Points: 1,224
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
4 year old thread....
His issue was pretty complicated so he might still be looking for a solution.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 139
Rewards Points: 278
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzop89 View Post
I may run into a problem with not being able to fur out far enough, as I am trying to achieve an extreme level of efficiency for LEED/PassivHaus. Since the answers are relevant to the OP's project, I don't think it would be hijacking the thread to ask:

1. Could I sister up 2x8s in order to get even more depth?
2. Does anyone know what sort of search terms I should use in the IRC/IBC to find info on "furring by sistering"?
3. Can I sister them with a slight offset so that the total depth is >8"?
If you're thinking of going that deep with the wall, why not just go double stud wall? (basically two parallel walls with lots of insulation in between)
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 AM   #11
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 3,019
Rewards Points: 1,634
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzop89 View Post
........................................
2. Does anyone know what sort of search terms I should use in the IRC/IBC to find info on "furring by sistering"?
.................................................. .........
There's not much about it in our code. Probably similar all around.
The furring is only holding drywall. If it's screwed at the same intervals as drywall requirements, the inspector should have no complaints.
The table below could not cope and paste properly but you can search using some of the terms.


From the OBC:

9.23.10.5. Support for Cladding Materials
(1) Corners and intersections shall be designed to
provide adequate support for the vertical edges of interior
finishes, sheathing and cladding materials, and in no
instance shall exterior corners be framed with less than the
equivalent of two studs.
(2) Where the vertical edges of interior finishes at wall
intersections are supported at vertical intervals by blocking
or furring, the vertical distance between such supports
shall not exceed the maximum distance between supports
specified in Section 9.29.

Table 9.29.3.1.

Size and Spacing of Furring

Forming Part of Sentence 9.29.3.1.(1)
Item Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
Maximum
Spacing
of Furring,
mm
Minimum Size of Furring, mm
Maximum Spacing of
Furring Supports
Continuous
Supports
406 mm
(o.c.)
610 mm
(o.c.)
1. 305 19 38 19 38 19 64
2. 406 19 38 19 38 19 64
3. 610 19 38 19 64 19 89

9.29.3.2. Fastening

(1) Furring shall be fastened to the framing or to wood
blocks with not less than 51 mm nails.
__________________
Pugsy.....my project: Total House Rebuild Bungalow to Two Story
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 34
Rewards Points: 68
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
4 year old thread....
So? I care about the issue and have subscribed to the thread. I never understood why there is a subset of people on various forums who have an aversion to threads older than yesterday. I'd rather follow a single old, informative thread that has a greater likelihood of keywords and synonyms being spelled correctly than have to filter through dozens of short threads or, even worse, not even know a thread exists because the title and/or posts are misspelled or use non-standard terminology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyeruncleBob View Post
If you're thinking of going that deep with the wall, why not just go double stud wall? (basically two parallel walls with lots of insulation in between)
Because I'm not familiar with this technique. Care to elaborate or provide links to examples/tutorials?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
There's not much about it in our code. Probably similar all around.
The furring is only holding drywall. If it's screwed at the same intervals as drywall requirements, the inspector should have no complaints.
The table below could not cope and paste properly but you can search using some of the terms.


From the OBC:

9.23.10.5. Support for Cladding Materials
(1) Corners and intersections shall be designed to
provide adequate support for the vertical edges of interior
finishes, sheathing and cladding materials, and in no
instance shall exterior corners be framed with less than the
equivalent of two studs.
(2) Where the vertical edges of interior finishes at wall
intersections are supported at vertical intervals by blocking
or furring, the vertical distance between such supports
shall not exceed the maximum distance between supports
specified in Section 9.29.

Table 9.29.3.1.
....
What is "OBC"?
I hope to find a suitable wall covering other than gyp board, such as hardwood direct to studs/bracket system or a synthetic with its own added R-value. So I'll have to be extra thorough with the vagarities of the codes because they are so biased toward gypsum/plaster.
jazzop89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 3,019
Rewards Points: 1,634
Default

Re: Extending 2x4 to 2x6


Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzop89 View Post
So? I care about the issue and have subscribed to the thread. I never understood why there is a subset of people on various forums who have an aversion to threads older than yesterday. I'd rather follow a single old, informative thread that has a greater likelihood of keywords and synonyms being spelled correctly than have to filter through dozens of short threads or, even worse, not even know a thread exists because the title and/or posts are misspelled or use non-standard terminology.

Because I'm not familiar with this technique. Care to elaborate or provide links to examples/tutorials?

What is "OBC"?
I hope to find a suitable wall covering other than gyp board, such as hardwood direct to studs/bracket system or a synthetic with its own added R-value. So I'll have to be extra thorough with the vagarities of the codes because they are so biased toward gypsum/plaster.

Ontario Building Code.
Most are similar.

Advertisement

__________________
Pugsy.....my project: Total House Rebuild Bungalow to Two Story
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extending deck & Pressure treated joist life OR DIY guy Building & Construction 2 05-23-2012 08:59 PM
Extending Patio Slab and adding a cover Jeoroc24 Building & Construction 5 04-12-2011 11:16 AM
Advice extending ridgeline of ranch house pfau Building & Construction 7 02-05-2011 10:08 AM
Extending cable for garden solar lights calibra Electrical 3 09-02-2009 10:47 AM
Extending an existing concrete garage base alan tomlinson Building & Construction 2 10-28-2008 02:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1