Ever Encounter Asbestos In Foam Board Insulation? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ever encounter asbestos in foam board insulation?

Hello all. New to the forum and happy to start my first thread.

I’m currently removing some 70s looking veneer wall board in my basement and behind it I found styrofoam type insulation glued to the concrete blocks, with random green dots scattered throughout the product. Not sure at this point if the green dots are a result of water/mold contamination from the foam being pressed against the blocks or if it’s actually part of the product and supposed to be there. Anywho, I was explaining what I found to someone and they said I need to be careful about asbestos. The following two pics show what I’m talking about. Has anyone seen this product before and hopefully have some advise?

Thanks!

Advertisement

lilbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

It's not asbestos, but it could very well be mold.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the info joecaption, much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

Chrs!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,256

+1

Much more likely that it is mold than anything else.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Def not asbestos, mold on styrofoam to me
Remod11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

That'd be some mighty funky looking mold. Looks more like something that was splattered on the foam board. Mold would have attacked the studs before the styrofoam because mold would starve on plastic. It's certainly not asbestos.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

My eyes aren't what they used to be but it appears on the board edge also, in the first photo...did you just remove that missing chunk?

Gary
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
My eyes aren't what they used to be but it appears on the board edge also, in the first photo...did you just remove that missing chunk?

Gary

It was removed moments before the picture was taken, and you're correct that it's also on the board edge. After closer inspection the dots appear to be solid and of a slightly different material. Maybe some sort of fire retardant although it's very random and some of the sheets have very little of it. Areas of the basement that show absolutely no signs of moisture also had the same random green dots in the rigid foam. Strange

Everything below and just above grade has been removed down to the studs, upper floor joists, and concrete slab. There have been a few surprises but I think I'm in pretty decent shape. Took possession of the house 2 months ago (my first home) and we're still on budget. It was built in 1965 and I was certainly very curious to see behind the walls, etc. I'm about to post one of my issues soon over in Concrete, Stone & Masonry.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Advertisement