Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 91
Question

Does Spraying Foam on Edges of Studs Actually Effective at Air Sealing?

Hi everyone,

So I have seen online that people use the spray foam in a can and run a line of foam around the perimeter of there stud walls (Part that has the outside plywood) and then put in there fiberglass batts.

Is this actually a smart and effective way of air sealing?
Attached Thumbnails
Does Spraying Foam on Edges of Studs Actually  Effective at Air Sealing?-spray-foam-stud-bay.jpg  

cloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,528

Can be but caulk is probably easier here.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 97

Yes, use caulk. Save the foam for big gaps.
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 91

the arrow I drew actually just points to the corner but I meant to mark the whole strip. the problem with using caulk in this situation to go up and down the stud Bay is that caulk does not expand that much.
cloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloves View Post
the arrow I drew actually just points to the corner but I meant to mark the whole strip. the problem with using caulk in this situation to go up and down the stud Bay is that caulk does not expand that much.
Why would it need to expand? Caulk would be a lot more cost-effective and achieve the same end results.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,110

There should be no gaps there to fill.
Looks like a waste of time and materials to me.
Not going to do a thing to stop thermal bridging, or stopping the chimney effect inside the wall cavity.
Bud Cline (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 338

Waste of time and $$ IMHO. Just finishing up on an energy star certified new home in MA, inspected periodically from the git go by the energy star guy, no caulking, foam, whatever around the studs in the location you show. Yes to California corners. Yes to r-21 walls. Yes to r-38 ceiling, yes to NON-EXPANDING foam around windows and doors. But caulking there, not so much. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,228

Use your time to put the insulation in right with the flanges stapled to the 2x4 edges and seal the drywall at the top plate to prevent cold air from filtering down from the attic, interior walls included.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 97

I did what the OP is describing. The exterior of my walls are 2' by 8' TG XPS board. The boards were mostly put together in a hurry leaving all kinds of gaps and tons of air intrusion. I caulked all the joints and around the perimeter of the stud bays with Alex Plus and installed rock wool. NO air movement now. Now if the OP's walls are assembled tightly then its probably overkill. Wait for a windy day and feel around with your hand for drafts.
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, it is a smart way to air seal against infiltration/exfiltration which severely degrades your FG R-value; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...M8l_EeA2F-qvvA

It also stops any air movement to the attic (heating climate= warm air rises, no cold air coming down), contributing to the "stack effect"(also seal the wiring holes and ADA the drywall; http://www.wag-aic.org/1999/WAG_99_baker.pdf

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Furnace filters are made of fiberglass- do a great job of air filtering, not blocking air.http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ty-insulation/

Yes, follow your good plan- page 21, 22; http://www.engr.psu.edu/phrc/trainin...ngbarriers.pdf

Air leaks (through plywood sheathing-stud joint/wire holes/under bottom plate/ around top plates can also be dangerous to your health; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...and-rot-houses

The batt facing does not require stapling (IF proper framing on-center spacing was used- it will support from studs---- to be an effective vapor retarder- if using as an air barrier instead of drywall, then yes- tape all perimeter); https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...9yRrrdP1VBztDg

Gary
PS. older houses had solid board sheathing on walls, many gaps. Newer ply/OSB have many gaps/cracks from framing lumber differences (studs are mostly 3-1/2"; plate is big/little from that, leaving a gap as the sheathing moves with seasonal RH changes (hence required gaping of sheets)- it's not a boat....

Last edited by Gary in WA; 05-29-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: sp
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
DoItMyselfToo (08-30-2014), Windows on Wash (06-01-2014)