Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

does cellulose need to be even thickness

Here is a drawing of the layout of my attic. It has existing FG batts. I intend to blow cellulose over the FG. (8-10 inches). Is there some "great importance " that the cellulose be an even thickness throughout. Certainly, it will not be difficult getting an even thickness on the level, horizontal area. What I "INTEND" to do on the slanted area to to run some "restraining" walls ( short pieces of some lightweight (maybe thin ridged foam) material running lengthwise to stop the blown cellulose from falling to the bottom of the angled wall ). Similar to what you might see on a highway where there is often stones falling down the hill. Then running some of the thinnest (non backed) FG to lay on top of the cellulose (only on that slanted area) JUST TO HELP prevent it from rolling down. Soooo, on the slanted area the cellulose wont be an even thickness. Is that any problem. I will build a little wall around the door (as shown)and a narrow walkway to the gable end where I put a small exhaust fan ( so I can easily get to it).
Attached Thumbnails
does cellulose need to be even thickness-attic-layout.jpg   does cellulose need to be even thickness-attic4.jpg   does cellulose need to be even thickness-attic5.jpg  

simagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

It only needs to be even thickness if yoiu want the same r-value throughout. For example a fiberglass batt has r value of approx 3.5/inch so typical 2x4 wall is r13, make it 6 inches and it is r-19. Same principal for cellulose, each inch adds r-value, each place where is is thinner reduces. Ron

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ront02769 For This Useful Post:
simagic (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

+1. The thickness will simply affect the r factor. That said, I might just treat the angled area as a kneewall and run horizontal batting (un-faced) over the other stuff. All of the dam building etc sounds like more trouble than its worth and still may not keep it from "pooling" at the bottom eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (05-14-2014)