Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #1

Share |

Detached Garage Insulation

I am thinking of insulating my detached garage. I will occasionally be heating it with a portable heater when I work out there on the coldest days of the winter. I may put in a small a/c unit in the future. The walls will not be finished except for perhaps peg board on a couple of the walls. I was thinking of using fiberglass batt type. Should I use un-faced with a plastic vapor barrier or paper lined batts? Any other types that I should consider?
Thanks

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Insulation with a poly vb will have moisture from inside condense on the poly without an air barrier (eg. drywall). I would not think of leaving fg uncovered, examine the bottom of the wrapper/bag it comes in- carefully... Other- depends on how much money to spend, lol.

Gary

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Do not use plastic skrimmed.

The plastic facing would therefore make it faced FYI.

I would use standard Kraft faced batts if you are going to use Fiberglass.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

I will need to insulate all the way to ridge since there is no dry wall going on the ceiling and there is no framing for a ceiling on half of the garage (the other half is a loft/storage space. I have a full ridge vent and also vented vinyl soffits. I will need to use foam baffles from the soffit space all the way to the ridge correct? It doesn't seem like those foam baffles provide much stand off/air space from the under side of the roof. Is this enough air circulation?
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #5

The foam ones tend to rip on the exposed fasteners sticking through the roof sheathing, and they are only 18.7 NFVA. The plastic ones from the same store (HD) are much better, maximizing airflow at 25.3 and they don't burn; http://www.adoproducts.com/as_durovent

http://www.bergerbp.com/products_ven...n_accuvent.php

Yes, to ridge- unless open attic above the ceiling line; where the rafter ties are located, overlap the lower for drainage out the soffit for condensation moisture as per manufacturer. Vent every bay. Drywall against moisture rotting the framing.

Gary