Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

Dense pack cellulose against fiberglass shower stall

I am almost ready to dense pack my basement bathroom walls for sound deadening. No exterior walls here, but I am concerned about 2 items:

Will 1/2" sheetrock glued to inside the stud bay and glued to the backside of the fiberglass surround give me enough support to prevent my stall wall from bowing?

The area of the shower stall from the top of the stall up to the ceiling is cement board, skim coated and painted. Should I be concerned with moisture wicking thru the cement board into the cellulose? For this area I was thinking of 1/2"rigid foamboard and foaming of caulking the edges then following up with the sheetrock as explained above for the remainder of the cavity.

I'm going to use insulweb so I won't have the drywall installed on the other side of the wall for a while.

I'm not going to go crazy packing it in for this application as my goal is to sound deaden not insulate. This is a trial run for a later and bigger insulating job. The machine I'm using is a Krendl 425DI with 1.5" nozzle.
crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Dense pack cellulose against fiberglass shower stall

The folks at greenbuildingadvisor.com may have some info for you. I don't like the idea of cellulose next to a shower, but as it is built it may be fine. I am no expert. buildingscience.com may also have some info.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote