DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Insulation (
-   -   Conflicted about Insulation (

Mstrlucky74 03-01-2013 05:05 AM

Conflicted about Insulation
265 Attachment(s)
I have an exterior wall that I will be insulating and it is acing a busy road. I just read in another site that R-13 to 21 should be used for exterior walls but for sound control(which we want) to use R-11. But then it will be less enegy efficient but control sound better???? Thanks

Larryh86GT 03-01-2013 11:48 AM

I used R-13 when I insulated all of the exterior walls in my home and it worked well for sound control. I think R-11 is generally used for sound control in interior walls.

Gary in WA 03-01-2013 01:40 PM

I'm surprised R-11 is still around. Most areas are now requiring R-13, per minimum building code. R-11 was replaced with R-13 a while ago...R-11 fiberglass is very low density insulation. R-13 is medium density, R-15 is high density. R13 has 40% more material than R11, R15 has 180% more in a 3-1/2" wall cavity than R-11.

Denser is better for both thermal/sound barriers, IMO. Mineral wool would be my choice to surpress noise- STC rating of 52 vs. fiberglass= 46. #10 here;


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1