Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

Cold spot in wall

In my bedroom i have a cold spot id say about 4x4 around electrical outlet, is this an insulation issue, (my breaker box is noy to far from the spot) i feel like its def making my bedroom colder than other rooms, can anyone help me out?

Ckb3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Cold spot in wall

It is very common for insulation to get missed where it needs to be cut and spaced around properly.

Seam up the air leaks around that outlet and that will help. Here is not a whole lot you can do to insulate that missing chunk without opening up the wall.

Look at the bigger picture and improve where you can without having to demo things to fix insulation layers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

Cold spot in wall

Ok thank you i bought the outlet foam inserts to insulate that area, thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Cold spot in wall

There is another possibility. You may have air intrusion from your attic, via the hole at the top of the wall framing through which your electrical cable passes. You would have to plug the area around the attic cable entry with caulk or spray foam. The foam receptacle insert helps, but you'll still have heat conduction through the drywall.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #5

Cold spot in wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost
There is another possibility. You may have air intrusion from your attic, via the hole at the top of the wall framing through which your electrical cable passes. You would have to plug the area around the attic cable entry with caulk or spray foam. The foam receptacle insert helps, but you'll still have heat conduction through the drywall.
I do not have an attic or Crawl space in my House, but thanks for the response
Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #6

Cold spot in wall

Im assuming it was not insulated well in that area i had bought those outlet insulation inserts and installed them to help, hopefully i see a difference, thanks for your help guys
Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Cold spot in wall

The drywall gaskets are okay if used properly.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote