Cold Room - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cold room

Hi All, Im hoping I am placing this in the right forum. I have a room approx 10 x 12 it originally was a porch that was enclosed. There are windows around the entire room. When I purchased and renovated the room was a step down so I brought the floor up to level with the rest of the house and insulated the floor. This made the ceiling less than 8' so I ripped out the ceiling and left it all exposed which is a tongue and grove planking. The room shares a radiator but it's not a tremendous amount of heat. The problem is the room is extremely cold approx 15 deg colder than the rest of the house and if your sitting in the attached living room you can feel the cold air coming in across your feet and legs. The problem that im trying to solve is how to get the room warmer...are their too many windows and just so old that maybe I need to take some out and replace some. also is the open ceiling the problem, which I don't really want to enclose as i like the look. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisement

TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Cold room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Hi All, Im hoping I am placing this in the right forum. I have a room approx 10 x 12 it originally was a porch that was enclosed. There are windows around the entire room. When I purchased and renovated the room was a step down so I brought the floor up to level with the rest of the house and insulated the floor. This made the ceiling less than 8' so I ripped out the ceiling and left it all exposed which is a tongue and grove planking. The room shares a radiator but it's not a tremendous amount of heat. The problem is the room is extremely cold approx 15 deg colder than the rest of the house and if your sitting in the attached living room you can feel the cold air coming in across your feet and legs. The problem that im trying to solve is how to get the room warmer...are their too many windows and just so old that maybe I need to take some out and replace some. also is the open ceiling the problem, which I don't really want to enclose as i like the look. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony what kind of room is above you? Is there a living space above you? Also this room does it have a crawl space below it? You mentioned you insulated the floor, what kind of insulation and between the floor joists?

Advertisement

cbaur88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

Cold room

the room was built on a slab that was cracked and uneven I used 2x6" to make a floor and then insulated with paper back insulation then plywood, insulating material and then laminate flooring. Their is nothing above this room and its a gable type pitch.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Cold room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
the room was built on a slab that was cracked and uneven I used 2x6" to make a floor and then insulated with paper back insulation then plywood, insulating material and then laminate flooring. Their is nothing above this room and its a gable type pitch.
If you have access to the floor below that room, I'd get down there and try to seal it up as much as possible. Any gaps or holes or anything letting air in I'd seal up with a good sealant and or spray foam. If you have access to the room above you might want to insulate that as well which will keep the heat in that room from escaping.
cbaur88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #5

Cold room

thanks for you reply...I will look to see what I can seal up.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

Cold room

So there is no insulation at all in the ceiling/roof? I would install a ventilated nail base like so http://www.atlasroofing.com/tabbed.php?section_url=51 which you could make yourself from styrofoam, strapping, and plywood.

If the windows are old single pane, then you could try to eliminate air leaks as well as install some storm windows.

Advertisement

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote